The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Alfalfa cubes/homeopathic remedies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/alfalfa-cubes-homeopathic-remedies-154724/)

JustWingIt 02-25-2013 07:05 PM

Alfalfa cubes/homeopathic remedies

So this morning the chiro came out to fix Xander's back. She said that he probably slipped in the snow and it was a relatively quick fix, his pelvis was just a little wonky. So after three weeks of not riding i can start bringing him back into work tommorow! The chiro also does acupuncture and douses and 'reads' horses. So we had her do accupuncture on him because she said his muscles were really tight, and we have been having some anxiety issue with him. She said that she could sense that his tummy was yucky and needed some help. So she suggested giving him Bach's Rescue Remedy and aloe juice for 10 days then a break of 3 days and then for another 10 days. She also said that alfalfa is good for his stomach, so I think we are going to do soaked alfalfa cubes with the aloe and rescue remedy.. So my question is this: is alfalfa cubes usually appealing to horses? My guy is really picky... Also, anyone ever had experience with aloe or rescue remedy?
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

kenda 02-25-2013 07:19 PM

Every horse I've ever fed them to as gobbled up soaked alfalfa cubes. But I guess it would also depend on how strong the smell and taste of the supplements is.

Duren 02-25-2013 07:36 PM

I feed soaked alfalfa cubes to supplement with my regular hay. They love love love it.

I dont know about all that "reading" and other stuff and I generally dont give supplements without running them by my vet first. I've seen quite a few cases of "Alternative medicine" really screwing up patients.

JustWingIt 02-25-2013 07:43 PM

Well I'm not too afraid to give him the aloe and reacue remedy (basically flower extracts) because its more natural medicine than alternative medicine in my eyes. I actually believe in homeopathic remedies and I use them on myself, just never have on horses!

And I was a bit skepticle of the 'reading' and energy moving theough accupunture until the chiro proved it to me!!!
If you wanna hear that story let me know lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

RiverBelle 02-25-2013 07:59 PM

Quick questions for everyone, and sorry to kinda go off subject JustWingIt, but when you say 'soaked alfalfa cubes', what do you mean? I am wanting to feed alfalfa cubes to my horses, but I see you need to soak them first. Do you just put them in a bucket with some water and let them soak over night or...?

kenda 02-25-2013 08:08 PM

You don't actually need to soak them, unless you have a horse who tends to gulp down their food. I use them as a carrier for powdered supplements, so soaking works best for me. It doesn't take them long to soak. About an hour give or take. I'm on self board so I make up dinner and breakfast when I get to the barn, do my stall and paddock, ride or lunge or groom or whatever is on the agenda that day and then dish out dinner and mix up breakfast for the barn staff to feed in the morning.

Duren 02-25-2013 10:18 PM

During the winter I soak in hot water. I put in enough water to just cover the top of the cubes. Only takes about 20 minutes (I use mini cubes). Makes a great warm dinner. Regular sized cubes take at least in hour in hot water, longer with room temp/cold. Pellets soak a lot quicker but I dont recommend them as they dont provide the same roughage.

deserthorsewoman 02-25-2013 10:41 PM

If he likes alfalfa he will like the cubes. Pellets do soak faster and as long as they're not completely replacing hay, they're just fine.
Did the chiro say to give the Rescue Remedy in the feed? Usually they should go directly in the mouth, in the mucous membranes, or under the tongue.

Joe4d 02-25-2013 10:55 PM

aloe juice is used as an antacid, sometimes for horses that trailer. Id say your horse is getting better inspite of the shaman, rather than because of. Time can heal alot. Feed your horse a balanced diet. if he's injured see a vet.

RiverBelle 02-26-2013 02:33 PM

How many cubes do you feed a day?