The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Black Horse Shedding Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/black-horse-shedding-question-154731/)

Breezy2011 02-25-2013 07:07 PM

Black Horse Shedding Question

Okay, my 2 year old is starting to shed a lot, but it looks like she is getting more brown in her, from her knees up, there are highlights of brown, her whole barrel and her neck have brown highlights... the side where her mane is blocking is black as black can be, because it gets no sun, but I thought when a horse shed out, it would turn more black, if it was black... She is 2 years old, so I know she is a black horse, and she has no brown around her nose, or from her knees down, but she has a little brown on her face, but that just showed up a month or 2 ago... Right now she looks pretty because of her 'brown' body, and black face and legs, but is this normal for a black horse to look more brown in colour this time of year when she is shedding?

Thanks... I will post pics tomorrow when I take some!

Breezy2011 02-25-2013 07:35 PM

This was Breeze from a few weeks ago
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...43769366_n.jpg

I will get new ones tomorrow, but her face still looks the same as this

its lbs not miles 02-25-2013 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy2011 (Post 1911822)
Okay, my 2 year old is starting to shed a lot, but it looks like she is getting more brown in her, from her knees up, there are highlights of brown, her whole barrel and her neck have brown highlights... the side where her mane is blocking is black as black can be, because it gets no sun, but I thought when a horse shed out, it would turn more black, if it was black... She is 2 years old, so I know she is a black horse, and she has no brown around her nose, or from her knees down, but she has a little brown on her face, but that just showed up a month or 2 ago... Right now she looks pretty because of her 'brown' body, and black face and legs, but is this normal for a black horse to look more brown in colour this time of year when she is shedding?

Thanks... I will post pics tomorrow when I take some!

It's not unusual. Not all black horses remain black throughout the year. I realize that many people want their black horse to remain black and go to great lengths to keep them from fading.
Personally I enjoy watching mine change. They both make the same changes, but at slight different rates of change. Depending on the time of year they'll be black, brown or bronze. I like having them with different colors during the year.

A picture of them both black in the pasture and another of them started to change to bronze. You can see that the older one changes out of black quicker then the younger, but they both eventually end up the same color during the year.

Army wife 02-27-2013 03:35 AM

I would think that if she is shedding out brown on her body, then she's probably a bay and not truly black. But i could be wrong. I'm no color expert!

franknbeans 02-27-2013 07:15 AM

Mine is coal black in winter and very very slightly brown, similar to yours when he sheds out in the spring. Close to black, but not truly, and does bleach out. Just the way some of them are.

PercheronMom 02-27-2013 07:52 AM

I love that my black Percheron changes colors. While I know many Percheron owners who go through great struggles to have their horses stay black, I am jealous that in the summer he bleaches out and gets beautiful red highlights LOL!

In the winter he is as black as they come. Though right now, shedding has just started, he is bay on some body parts. This change really only happened this week. His head, legs, rump never change they are always black. He will be black again once he is done shedding, at least until August when the sun is in it's full glory!

gypsygirl 02-27-2013 08:42 AM

my mare fades once shes had her coat for awhile, but it always comes in jet black.