The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Lower leg popping out during posting trot? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/lower-leg-popping-out-during-posting-154741/)

LikeaTB 02-25-2013 08:24 PM

Lower leg popping out during posting trot?

I went to the barn early the other day, and this was my 2nd time at my new barn. I made a friend (yay!) who is my age and we had our lesson together. Now, I'm not going to go up to her and say "you're doing it all wrong, you're supposed to post like this and not like this" and start hashing her about it.

I noticed that when she posts, when she rises her lower leg pops out. Should I tell her? I don't want to come across as a know it all or rude, I just want to help out. Should I say anything about it? If so, what should I saw? Thanks!

LostDragonflyWings 02-25-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeaTB (Post 1911941)
I went to the barn early the other day, and this was my 2nd time at my new barn. I made a friend (yay!) who is my age and we had our lesson together. Now, I'm not going to go up to her and say "you're doing it all wrong, you're supposed to post like this and not like this" and start hashing her about it.

I noticed that when she posts, when she rises her lower leg pops out. Should I tell her? I don't want to come across as a know it all or rude, I just want to help out. Should I say anything about it? If so, what should I saw? Thanks!

If you do feel comfortable telling her, you could say something like.... "Hey, I noticed when you post you legs seem to pop out. I used to have this problem too (or a friend of mine used to have that problem too) and corrected it by....".

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2013 10:21 PM

Leave it for an instructor.... is my advice. She's not endagering herself or your horse with how she posts :/

kenda 02-25-2013 10:35 PM

Agreed. Leave it to an instructor or if she specifically asks for help. People can be touchy about being told what they are doing is wrong and you don't want to alienate her.

palogal 02-26-2013 08:23 PM

FWIW, she's probably posting off of her feet rather than her whole leg and hips. But either way, I'd let the instructor handle it. She may not be strong enough to post correctly yet.

PaintedHeart 03-01-2013 01:33 PM

I used to have a similar problem when I started riding, before my body was strong enough to post properly and I tended to post off my feet. Personally, I knew it was happening and even though I knew I was doing everything I could (riding as often as possible, working on exercises to strengthen leg and core muscles outside of riding, etc.), I was still pretty self-conscious about it.

If it were me, I'd leave it to your instructor to help her out. :wink: She may already know she's doing it and if she is, she may be really embarrassed if you come up to her and point it out.