The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Typical Trial Period? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/typical-trial-period-154748/)

LoveMyDrummerBoy 02-25-2013 10:06 PM

Typical Trial Period?

Hey everyone!

So I am seriously looking at buying a warmblood in my area, and I was just wondering what a typical trial period would be. I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. Any experiences to share? I haven't done this for a while! :D

~Thanks in advance~

JustDressageIt 02-25-2013 10:10 PM

I'd be shocked at a 3 month trial... wow. I'd say typically I've seen a few days to a week, tops. That's if they even offer a trial.

Joe4d 02-25-2013 10:59 PM

a week is more than fair to both parties,

Wanstrom Horses 02-25-2013 11:05 PM

I've always done a three day trial period. If they like or don't like the horse in three days, they won't change their mind in three months. I don't really care for trial periods too much anyways, ive had some screwed up horses come back to me..

LoveMyDrummerBoy 02-26-2013 12:19 AM

Thanks guys! That was really helpful.

I'll see what they offer, but I'll try for about a week trial. I have to sell my current horse right now, so I guess that I will have to wait to take him on trial until I have an offer.

upnover 02-26-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1912045)
I'd be shocked at a 3 month trial... wow. I'd say typically I've seen a few days to a week, tops. That's if they even offer a trial.

This exactly. Any more then a week and you're looking at paying for some sort of lease fee. When I do a prepurchase exam my vet likes for us to have the horse for at least 48 hours in case the seller drugged the horse. I like to mention that when asking for a trial from a trainer I don't know but... these days trainers are getting more and more hesitant about trials and rightfully so.