The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Gaining weight... (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/gaining-weight-154756/)

rexing93 02-25-2013 10:13 PM

Gaining weight...

This is probably a bit "different" as I can't even find very many articles that are beneficial. Surely someone has a similar issue or has had a similar problem.

I'm struggling with some "health" issues, being I've eaten almost all fast food, microwavable foods, and a ton of junk food as well as my caffeine "addiction". It's more of the fact that I'm nineteen years old (it's a tad bit embarrassing to admit my poor diet at this age -.-) and haven't eaten well in years so my body isn't quite happy with me and it wants to show it by having sore joints, bone pain, fatigue, etc.

I'm tired of being drowsy and feeling "out of it". I made a doctors appointment awhile back, but of course she isn't paid to tell me what to eat, how to exercise, etc. but she told me to change my diet and if my symptoms didn't stop to go back in. I took soda entirely out of my diet and I began waking up earlier (which was a big deal seeing as I was sleeping to 11am-2pm when I normally wake up at 6:45-8am naturally). Now I've been waking up, for the most part, at 7:45am-8:30am, which is progress--that makes me think diet is a huge factor, if not the entire problem. I've discussed going to a dietitian/nutritionist with my mother as I'm probably going to need supplements as I can't eat a lot.

Anywhoo, I'm also trying to physically get myself up to par as I'm, hopefully, going to be able to start riding lessons and I want to be sure I'm going to handle it well.
I'm approx. 5'7" (5'7.5"ish) and weigh from 102-105lbs (small frame and naturally have always been skinny). I haven't really worked out (especially not for 3 years since being out of high school) so I'm looking for ideas to start doing at home to slowly get fit. I'd really love some ideas on gaining muscles in my arms and legs (my stomach is actually rather fit).

I'm aware that I'm not talking to doctors (perhaps there is a doctor or two on this site, surely), so I'm not asking for medical advice, rather asking for insight on what's worked for others when gaining weight/muscle.
I'll still be consulting a dietitian/nutritionist who, I'm sure, will cover all the basics, but it'll be awhile for me to get in (new doctor, you always have to wait). So in the meantime, any ideas?

Thank you for reading and/or helping!(:

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2013 10:27 PM

Go for walks.. long walks up different terrains. That will be a good start without stressing your body out.

Celeste 02-26-2013 05:12 PM

You need to eat a good balanced diet with meat, bread, and veggies. Then to add to your caloric count, eat ice-cream! It did wonders to help me gain weight. Unfortunately, I did not need to gain weight.

Seriously, you need to eat more solid, nutritious food even if you have to force yourself. I think you did good to cut out sodas. They only add empty calories. You could get extra protein by eating a couple of eggs for breakfast. You could eat toast or grits with the eggs. Anything that is healthy would be good to eat. And I really would eat the ice cream.

Cacowgirl 02-26-2013 06:18 PM

Ice cream, most definetely, especially the ones higher in fat. CostCo's Vanilla ice cream is Very Rich!

rexing93 02-26-2013 08:19 PM

I'll definitely have to take a walk in some of our surrounding parks as the terrain is varied.(:
Celeste, I've got the bread down (probably a bit too much), but the good diet is why I need to talk to the nutritionist/dietitian seeing as I'm not used to putting a variety in my diet but I'm really trying to change all that.
And I'll definitely have to get some ice-cream. Sounds kind of good x]

Thank you to all who posted! I really appreciate it :)

alexischristina 02-26-2013 10:39 PM

I've been turning my lifestyle around for the past year, and while I've been doing it to lose weight, I know lots of people who eat the same sorts of food in an effort to go from underweight to gaining weight, and especially getting healthy. Ice cream is great if you just want to gain weight... but you said you want to get healthy and a bit fit, so maybe you should try getting your fats elsewhere? :wink:

Nut butters are great healthy fats, with protein. Bread is great for you, but not when you're eating white bread of 'whole grain' brand names that come as glorified white breads, breads made with flax and sprouted grains are super healthy and higher in calories (good calories), eggs are wonderful and although it takes some getting used to I'd 100% recommend avocado as a good source of healthy fats and greek yoghurt. Whole grains in your pastas, etc. lots of fruit and vegetables, good healthy meats...

Yes, you'll gain weight if you stuff yourself full of ice cream, but you wont get healthy. I'm not saying to NOT eat ice cream, it's an okay way to up your calories in addition to lots of other healthy fats.

Celeste 02-26-2013 10:49 PM

Right. Don't eat ice cream instead of healthy food. Eat it in addition to healthy food.

rexing93 02-26-2013 11:23 PM

I'm entirely aware that I shouldn't eat JUST ice-cream...in all honesty, if ice-cream would do the trick, I wouldn't be tiny. Trust me.

However, I probably need things high in proteins as I've been overly exhausted lately. Hmph. Nutrients...they're so overrated. x]

But yes, the diet change begins (technically it officially began) tonight. :3

RiverBelle 02-27-2013 02:11 AM

A good exercise we did when I first started learning to ride was a stretching for our legs. At first, it's hard to get your heels down so if you start stretching before you start riding you can really help get that taken care of. If there is a fence around you, stand on the lowest bar and rock back on your heels so most of your weight is on your heels. It will stretch those muscles in the back of your legs. Plus, stretching is a good way to start any good workout. :) Hope I helped some, lol

waresbear 02-27-2013 03:37 AM

Whole grain pastas, natural peanut butter and bananas are high in calories and very good for you and super easy to incorporate into your daily meals.
Posted via Mobile Device