The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse stopping while being led (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-stopping-while-being-led-154760/)

Chessie 02-25-2013 11:36 PM

Horse stopping while being led

I was just curious what some different approaches are for dealing with a horse that stops suddenly while being led because he's caught sight of something he doesn't like and is trying to decide if he should be spooked by it.

What's the best way to get the horse moving again so that the horse is respectful and responsive to you, instead of the spooky thing?

Thanks!

Phly 02-25-2013 11:42 PM

Don't look back and keep walking. If the horse stop stops, like wont move. Still don't look back just hold solid pressure and keep till the horse walks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chessie 02-25-2013 11:51 PM

That's what I was wondering about, if that solid pull on the halter would make them numb to it, or if there was something else to do to get the body moving and the attention back on me.

And yes, I'm talking about the situation where a horse's head goes way up in "What's that?" mode, and the feet freeze.

tinyliny 02-25-2013 11:53 PM

spook him yourself, before he decides to be spooked by the other thing.

No, I dont' really mean to spook him, but do something that makes YOU more of a concern to him than that other thing. So, to do that, you might have to do something big enough that causes him to move his feet. ONce he does, he will be broken loose and will likely be willing to move forward again.

tinyliny 02-25-2013 11:54 PM

you can use the solid pull on the halter for a bit, but if it gets stuck into a tug of war, then shish the lead rope end around behind you to make him move his feet. Once he does, just walk on forward and he should come along ok.

palogal 02-25-2013 11:56 PM

Step to the side, not forward, if he's locked, he won't move forward and you're going to lose the tug o' war.

Phly 02-25-2013 11:57 PM

Can they learn to ignore it? Yes definitely. But that goes farther back in training. You could use a rope halter, lil more bite, but that could just be a bandaid. I've found as long as you're confident and lead, not ask, most will follow your lead.
Posted via Mobile Device

4everiding 02-26-2013 12:01 AM

Turn his head away from you until he takes a step to the side and then pull his head towards you so he takes another...if you pull straight forward you will literally go nowhere. If all else fails turn him around and back him up towards the scary place (this is the only way I could get my horse back into his stall while he was on stall rest for a few weeks. It's a lot easier than attempting to strong arm an animal 10x heavier than you)
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 02-26-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 1912285)
Step to the side, not forward, if he's locked, he won't move forward and you're going to lose the tug o' war.

I personally don't like that idea. May work fine. And if it does, carry on. Myself, if I'm headin north I'm headin north. I won't go west to move my horse. I'd rather as tiny said get them movin with the lead or whatever is available. I feel that if they won't walk forward and I give an option of walking another way, they won. Just my opinion and its worth what it cost
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 02-26-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1912308)
I personally don't like that idea. May work fine. And if it does, carry on. Myself, if I'm headin north I'm headin north. I won't go west to move my horse. I'd rather as tiny said get them movin with the lead or whatever is available. I feel that if they won't walk forward and I give an option of walking another way, they won. Just my opinion and its worth what it cost
Posted via Mobile Device

The other way to look at it is that the horse wants to stand or go back, so if you can get a movement in a direction you have asked for you have actually won:wink:

As everything there is no one right way here, I use both approaches depending on the horse.