The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need help re-training, Ideas Please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-re-training-ideas-please-154766/)

LexiANDCharlie 02-26-2013 12:29 AM

Need help re-training, Ideas Please!

So for my birthday, I got the horse I used to ride "Charlie". Long story short he hasn't been ridden in a year and a half, since I last rode him and he needs work. He used to be an AMAZING hunt-seat horse. He has some back problems, and I need to go slow with him. He's a great horse and very willing, I just need to get him back into shape so he's hopefully able to compete again. I love him so much and will do anything to get that pep back in his step (: Thanks in advance for the help!

A little about Charlie:
He showed on the APHA circuit for 5 years before his back injury
He's a 16.1, Bay Overo American Paint Horse
He loves blue popsicles
He's terrorfied of water and squirrels
& I absolutely adore him <3

Cherie 02-26-2013 12:35 AM

Soooooo -- what exactly do you want help with?

Oh! And welcome to the Horse Forum.

Cherie

palogal 02-26-2013 12:41 AM

If he has back problems, I'd talk to your vet and ask what conditioning he/she recommends. His muscles probably need to be conditioned in a certain order depending on his issues.

LexiANDCharlie 02-26-2013 12:45 AM

He has been checked by a vet and the vet said he is good to go as long as I keep him on supplements and don't work him excessively. He needs help just on basic things, stopping when I ask, lead changes, headset, little things like that. He's just really rusty and a tad stubborn sometimes.

palogal 02-26-2013 12:46 AM

I like the book 101 dressage exercises for conditioning. They start simple with direction/bend changes and move up. Sounds like it would work for your guy.

LexiANDCharlie 02-26-2013 12:49 AM

Thanks for the Help! I'll check it out (:

Jensride 02-26-2013 12:59 AM

Also I wouldn't do any Hill work with him until his back is better and is a little more muscled up, since he's been resting for a year- his top line has likely changed- so be aware of saddle fit......what fit him a year and a half ago while he was working may not be great fit now..... That's why I love my changeable gullet system. Best investment I ever made!!!!! Good luck and have fun:)

LexiANDCharlie 02-26-2013 01:04 AM

Thank you! It's good you brought my attention to that, I never would have thought to check! For the remainder of the week, I'm in a knee brace due to a skiing accident, hopefully out on Friday, until then is there any good lunging exercises that would work on his top line or just his overall activity until I can get back in the saddle?

Jensride 02-26-2013 01:15 AM

Oh my - hope you recover fast!
You can longe him over ground poles and small cavalettis is good for strengthening the back!