The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Exhibition Question (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/exhibition-question-154785/)

huntergrl 02-26-2013 06:42 AM

Exhibition Question

I am attending my first barrel racing show with my QH at the lovely new arena in March. I was wondering do I need to run the exhibition part? I would rather show up extra early and see how the horse acts, give my son the practice as well as me before our classes start. Therefore, I def see doing the exhibition part as being helpful. It will make for a very long day but its what I love so I don't mind. Classes won't start til 2pm but the the exhibition stuff starts about 10am.
I guess I know I want to be there and do exhibition but I would like to know what to expect. Its been a very long time since I was at an all day show. I don't have worries about my horse, he is super cool with pretty much everything.

beau159 02-26-2013 09:54 AM

It really depends on the individual show rules of the barrel race you are attending.

Some are more laid back in that they will let you purchase as many exhibitions as you like, and some shows will only let you do one. Exhibition prices can range from $5 and higher, again, depending on the individual show. Some shows will have a time limit per exhibition (like 1 minutes, for example) while others will not have a time limit.

It just really varies as far as the logistics go.

Is that what you were wondering about what to expect?

Whether or not your horse NEEDS an exhibition, well you know him best!

huntergrl 02-26-2013 12:40 PM

Yes that helps. Thanks. I def know my horse needs it. He's pretty easy going but its just a good idea to subject him to it before our class. I remember showing back when they wouldn't let you go in the ring on show day. It was totally not fair for the people who weren't familiar with the place. I am super excited and ready to begin work ups since we've had so much rain. We've been doing good exercises alot but the rain has sogged the ground so much I couldn't even do anything over the weekend. Today is the last of the rain for the week. So I hope I can get out there and lunge him starting tomorrow night.

Kelsie1 02-26-2013 05:10 PM

Ya do the Exhibition it will help both you and the horse to get use to things acspecially sence it's your first time there!!

crazyhattricks 02-27-2013 02:41 PM

You dont have to do exhibition. Most places have open riding before an after exhibition. Most places, like the big shows, open riding starts at 8am. You can do it as many times as you like too, well out by us anyways, but just be curitious of the others trying to do it also. And you dont even have to run when youre doing exhibition either, some people walk, and trot, or a slow canter.