The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   whip length and girth length? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/whip-length-girth-length-154808/)

Rachel1786 02-26-2013 02:17 PM

whip length and girth length?

I bought a dressage whip at the horse expo this past weekend since I use one in my lessons and I like to have my own stuff(plus it's hard to find a good one at the lesson barn, some have no tops and others have no ends) My instructor said that it's probably too long to show with tho. She told me to be careful I didn't accidentally use it while riding(which I didn't have a problem with). I'm just wondering what length should I get for showing? The one I got is probably about 4' long. Would it ever be acceptable to show with that length? I'm wondering if maybe it depends on the length of the horse, my TB is quite a bit longer then the lesson horse. She said it was fine for schooling since I used it well.

Now my other question. How far up on each side should a dressage girth come? I want to get a new girth for my mare, the current one is a 28" and I'm wondering if it should be a bit shorter.
I don't have any pics with the current saddle and girth, but I have a pic of my mare with her old dressage saddle and old girth, which was also a 28"
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/IMG_4198.jpg The billets on my new saddle are a bit longer, but I don't think that really matters does it?
Here is the new saddle sitting on my mare(I know it's a bit too forward) to give an idea of the billets.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/100_0030.jpg

Jadedmare 02-26-2013 03:17 PM

I don't know where you live or if you show but this is from the USEF rulebook:

"10. The following whips are permitted for schooling only: One whip no longer than 47.2.
inches (120 cm), including lash, may be carried by the rider when mounted. One lungeing
whip is permitted only when lungeing. There is no restriction on the length of whip permitted
for working a horse in hand. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm) including
lash may be carried in all classes except USEF/USDF Championships, USEF National
Dressage Championships, USEF High Performance Championships, USEF High
Performance qualifying and selection trials, and observation classes. (Exception: Competitors
riding sidesaddle may carry a whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, in
USEF/USDF Championships.) One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including
lash may be carried in all qualifying classes (including NAYRC and NAJC) unless such use is
otherwise prohibited by FEI or Federation rules or selection procedures for the classes.
However, when a whip is permitted for FEI Pony Tests, the maximum length is 100 cm (1
meter).BOD 1/14/12 Effective 2/1/12
An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a

mounted rider. "

Rachel1786 02-26-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadedmare (Post 1913051)
I don't know where you live or if you show but this is from the USEF rulebook:

"10. The following whips are permitted for schooling only: One whip no longer than 47.2.
inches (120 cm), including lash, may be carried by the rider when mounted. One lungeing
whip is permitted only when lungeing. There is no restriction on the length of whip permitted
for working a horse in hand. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm) including
lash may be carried in all classes except USEF/USDF Championships, USEF National
Dressage Championships, USEF High Performance Championships, USEF High
Performance qualifying and selection trials, and observation classes. (Exception: Competitors
riding sidesaddle may carry a whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, in
USEF/USDF Championships.) One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including
lash may be carried in all qualifying classes (including NAYRC and NAJC) unless such use is
otherwise prohibited by FEI or Federation rules or selection procedures for the classes.
However, when a whip is permitted for FEI Pony Tests, the maximum length is 100 cm (1
meter).BOD 1/14/12 Effective 2/1/12
An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a

mounted rider. "

Thanks, I live in the US, Pa to be specific. I've never shown before but I do plan on attending at least once show this year, the barn I take lessons hosts 3 shows a year, I believe 2 are ESDCTA, but I am not 100% sure on that(and one is unrecognized). I found out just how expensive it is to show, so I'm not sure if I can afford to attend more then one lol.

I'll have to measure my whip, but I think it may exceed the 47.2" max, oh well, it was only $7 and still good for schooling, now I know the maxium length I need :-)

palogal 02-26-2013 09:14 PM

If it was sold as a 'dressage whip' it should be in regulation. The whip should reach behind your heel, where it's supposed to be used.

As for your girth, the one you have looks fine. If there's not a hole high enough for it on your billets, it needs to be shorter. I fit mine so the girth comes to the middle of the shoulder.

Rachel1786 02-26-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 1913604)
If it was sold as a 'dressage whip' it should be in regulation. The whip should reach behind your heel, where it's supposed to be used.

As for your girth, the one you have looks fine. If there's not a hole high enough for it on your billets, it needs to be shorter. I fit mine so the girth comes to the middle of the shoulder.

I don't know if it's a "dressage whip" but it looked like one, it was in a bin full of different length whips, there were 2 lengths in the style I got, the shorter one was probably about a foot shorter, if I had realized they were 50% off I probably would have gotten both sizes (didn't have time to get the second as I kind of lost my friend and her baby at the expo lol) I'll have to measure it to be sure, Its in my car so I estimated the length by about where it came up to when I was holding it with the end on the ground.

Since the billets on my new saddle are so long, I'm thinking maybe I'll get a size smaller and get the 26" :-) Thanks

~*~anebel~*~ 02-27-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 1913604)

To the bolded part - sorry but no that is a terrible assumption to make.
Tack shops have no idea about what is legal or illegal and for the most part neither do manufacturers.
Always, always double check your rule book and measure everything. "Well the tack shop lady said..." or "Oh it was sold as a dressage whip" will not keep you from getting eliminated.

Good luck at your shows!

Rachel1786 02-27-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1914983)
To the bolded part - sorry but no that is a terrible assumption to make.
Tack shops have no idea about what is legal or illegal and for the most part neither do manufacturers.
Always, always double check your rule book and measure everything. "Well the tack shop lady said..." or "Oh it was sold as a dressage whip" will not keep you from getting eliminated.

Good luck at your shows!

I didn't even know you could show with a whip until my instructor said it may be too long to show with. :lol: I'm trying to find the one I bought on horseloverz website (which is proving difficult) and it might be the perri's 39"
but it's really hard to tell from that pic, and it's way too cold out to go out to the car to get it lol.
Since I now know you can show with a whip, if this one is too long I'll just get a shorter one for shows(if I can afford a show this year lol).

On another note, showing is CRAZY expensive! I asked my instructor the other week and just to use the lesson horse is $50 and then mandatory coaching if using the lesson horse is $60, plus how ever much the test costs :shock:. I would love to show on my mare, but we just aren't ready for that kind of pressure yet. We tend to feed off each others nerves when away from our comfort zone :?

Kayty 02-27-2013 09:52 PM

Yep, showing is certainly pricey.
I've got State Champs coming up in a couple of months, we are now paying $50/test, plus a $40 admin fee, $20 swabbing levy, $10 federation levy and stabling/camping fees.
NOT cheap!

Rachel1786 02-28-2013 02:52 PM

So I finally measured the whip and it's 48" (4') without the tail(whatever the end is called lol) and 53" with it. So looks like I will be buying a new one for if I show :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1915256)
Yep, showing is certainly pricey.
I've got State Champs coming up in a couple of months, we are now paying $50/test, plus a $40 admin fee, $20 swabbing levy, $10 federation levy and stabling/camping fees.
NOT cheap!

wow, When people said showing was expensive, I was thinking maybe $100 per show lol. I'm really kind of excited to show, I never thought I would be but I'm looking forward to show season. I figure at 27 years old and riding since I was 12, it's about time I show at least once :lol:

Corporal 02-28-2013 02:58 PM

Didn't know that Dressage whips came in different lengths, BUT, using logic, it should depend upon the body length of your horse and if you can encourage your horse with the whip without having to lean or tip your body, hence your weight. The whip is always an extension of your arm anyway.
Therefore, your whip should be long enough for you to reach the flank without rotating your body right or left. If you cannot do this, then you need a longer whip.