The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stiffness in winter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stiffness-winter-154841/)

Black Beauty 94 02-26-2013 05:48 PM

Stiffness in winter?

Hi,
I had a lesson yesterday, for the first time since December. My trainer said that she thought he looked stiff in the back right hind, but not uncomfortable.

In December, when it was still warm (not frozen ground) she said he did not look stiff/sore at all.

I have known about his right leg stiffness/soreness since the summer, he is 18 years old. Does it make sense that the stiffness in his right hock is from the cold? He is on daily previcox and seems to be doing well, is there something extra i could give him just in the winter to stop the stiffness?

He is on 24/7 rough board, and his pasture is 30 acres with 20 other horses, so he has plenty of room to run around. I also warm him up 5 minutes each direction at the walk before I trot/canter.

Is there anything else I can do to help him?
Thanks

SaddleOnline 02-27-2013 11:45 AM

I would not say it is abnormal at all for an older guy to be more stiff in the winter. You could try something like the Back On Track hock boots for 30 mins before you ride to warm up the joint, and make sure your walk warm up isn't just walking around in circles- work on bending and flexing and making him move and step under himself to get all loosened up- shoulder in, haunches in, leg yields etc all at the walk to get everything moving and listening.

Black Beauty 94 02-28-2013 05:25 PM

Thank you!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleOnline (Post 1914502)
I would not say it is abnormal at all for an older guy to be more stiff in the winter. You could try something like the Back On Track hock boots for 30 mins before you ride to warm up the joint, and make sure your walk warm up isn't just walking around in circles- work on bending and flexing and making him move and step under himself to get all loosened up- shoulder in, haunches in, leg yields etc all at the walk to get everything moving and listening.

Black Beauty 94 02-28-2013 05:25 PM

bump--

Black Beauty 94 03-01-2013 06:05 PM

bump--

Northernstar 03-01-2013 06:19 PM

Late this past fall, my farrier confirmed what I had suspected about my 21 yr old QH starting to get a little arthritis in her hocks - nothing horrendous, but was becoming obvious. I'm not one to jump into giving supplements and like to keep it simple. But I did start her on the Dumor Joint Pellets (Glucosamine Chondroitin). Wow!! Within a week, no more stiffness/"snap,crackle,pop" in the mornings! Just a tiny scoop/day really makes a difference :)

Black Beauty 94 03-07-2013 07:05 PM

thank you!
Bump