The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation/Movement Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-movement-critique-154847/)

duke7 02-26-2013 06:13 PM

Conformation/Movement Critique

Mainly I'm wondering what you think of this mare's movement.
Do you think she'd do well as a hunter?
Any conformation insight would be appreciated as well, though I know it's hard to tell since she's being ridden in the video

churumbeque 02-26-2013 07:36 PM

It would be easier to see what kind of headset it had with a bit. I would be very concerned as to why they would be riding it in a halter. That was the 1st time I have ever seen a horse on display like that. Very strange.

Elana 02-26-2013 07:37 PM

I really like this horse.

She has a strong coupling and she moves very very nicely. She works very well and that is w/o a bit or a bridle. Honestly... you can ride her for life in a side pull if she will move nicely for you. She has a nice strong coupling. Too bad the person talking doesn't SHUT UP.

ponypile 02-26-2013 07:56 PM

VERY nice movement. In terms of her movement on the flat, you'd be able to do whatever you want with her. But if you're considering her as a hunter, I'd want to see her over jumps before making any decisions.

PreciousPony 02-26-2013 09:14 PM

Gorgeous movement. I really really like her. Definitely check her out over fences before you buy her as a hunter though! Honestly I think they are showing her in a halter as a "look how quiet" she is type of thing, but just to be safe you should have her teeth looked at too.

aldebono 02-26-2013 09:53 PM

Cute mover! I would love to see this mare in a bit. I feel like that rope halter with the reins connected under are lacing direction. I also feel like she is seeking contact.

duke7 02-27-2013 12:01 AM

Found a Jumping Video!

Thanks for the responses! I really like her too...normally a chestnut mare sounds my alarm bells, but something about her says she'd be hard to faze. She's for sale, and I'm seriously thinking about checking her out in person. Main issue I have is she's on the small side--only 16H--and I'd worry about her making it down the lines at the shows.

Found a video that shows her jumping the smallest of x-rails. Thoughts? She seems adjustable and sensible but I'm still not sold on her making it as a hunter(that's mainly what I do).....

RiverBelle 02-27-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke7 (Post 1914036)
Thanks for the responses! I really like her too...normally a chestnut mare sounds my alarm bells, but something about her says she'd be hard to faze.

What do you mean that a chestnut mare sounds alarm bells? Whats wrong with chestnut mares?

Elana 02-27-2013 08:08 AM

Here she is working in a snaffle and doing nicely. I really think this horse is being brought along the RIGHT way (not too fast). She is stepping over these fences.. nice and confident. I don't see any twisting or meeting the jump wrong.

She is just learning. If anything I like her MORE after the video over the fences.

aldebono 02-27-2013 08:10 AM

Red head mares I think is what she is referring to.
Chestnut mares are just as calm or hot as any other color. Temperament is not linked to color.
There is/was an assumption of chocolate labs being less smart than their yellow or black counterparts and were referred to as "Brown Brains".