The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Potentially Perilous Pink Chaps... Opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/potentially-perilous-pink-chaps-opinions-154864/)

monkeyleap 02-26-2013 09:00 PM

Potentially Perilous Pink Chaps... Opinions?

So I've got my eye on some bright pink chaps for horsemanship as well as western pleasure rail classes this year for 4H and/or Quarter Horse shows. They're practically neonish. I'd be paying for them myself. I was wondering what you guys thought about using them with a mostly black tunic (with pink trim) for horsemanship? I think they'd be ok for pleasure, at least. Or should I just get a pink shirt to go with my black chaps and forget it? :?

PS, the reason I ask is because... well... I'm not sure if they're deemed "Acceptable" in horsemanship... and where I ride people aren't big fans of brightly colored Pleasure wear. And my decision could be potentially perilous to my reputation ;)

waresbear 02-26-2013 09:05 PM

Neon pink ? Hmmm, maybe for junior C, under 12 yrs old, maybe.

SunnyK01 02-26-2013 09:28 PM

Around here, the trend in horsemanship is a monochromatic look. As in top, pants, chaps, boots are all one color. The thought being that it makes a cleaner line and doesn't break your body up into parts. This supposedly makes you look smoother and makes bobbles in each part of your body less noticeable. So, unless you want to commit to a full neon pink outfit, I'd probably skip it for horsemanship :wink:

And, I'd also probably agree that a full pink outfit would be out of place in an adult class.

franknbeans 02-26-2013 09:34 PM

Look at some online pictures fron AQHA shows. I will bet you do not see a single pair of hot pink chaps. Agree-maybe for the little kids, or gaming.

oh vair oh 02-26-2013 09:51 PM

Colors like that are usually reserved for the younger kids. If you have the money, buy sand chaps and a sand hat to wear with a pink shirt. Or chocolate. Well fitting black, sand, and chocolate chaps will last you your entire life of showing.

QHriderKE 02-26-2013 09:51 PM

Very few gamers I've seen have wore chaps unless they had some for a charity event or something

Copperhead 02-26-2013 11:02 PM

Neon pink chaps would be a bit of an eye sore lol You'll definitely pop out in a class but probably not the way you'd like to!

monkeyleap 02-27-2013 06:56 AM

The issue is I'm not under 12 ;) Would it be okay to use my black chaps, then, with a pink shirt and pink saddle pad?

franknbeans 02-27-2013 07:09 AM

Much better, as long as it is not neon pink. This thread makes me think of something my reining trainer told me when I asked about white sprot boots on the fronts for a show (my guy has white stockings in the back and I thought it would look sharp). he told me to stick with back, unless my spins were perfect, since the white attracts attention to the legs and ANY flaws in performance. I stuck with black.

The more attention you draw with flash, the more perfect your performance must be, since the judge will be staring at you-good and bad. Let the horses performance speak for itself. JMHO.

Dreamers Mom 02-27-2013 07:13 AM

Tbh, it depends on your purpose. If you're just going for fun, ie, not winning money or big time points, wear what you want but know it could negatively affect you. If you are competing professionally, then you've got to dress the part, ie. Notpink chaps. Showing is a lot like a job, you can be the best out there but if you're not dressed for the job, you may not get noticed by the right people or get the attention you want.
Posted via Mobile Device