The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Halter show question... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/halter-show-question-154894/)

Stichy 02-27-2013 02:49 AM

Halter show question...

Hey, so my mom said that to show your QH in halter, you have to cut their mane to like 5 inches or something like that...Is that true? For every show? What about every breed? If it is, that puts a downer on things, because I like my manes and HATE cutting them! Would doing a running braid or something like that be ok? I'm looking for any alternitaves to cutting off the mane I've worked hard on for lord knows how long D:

waresbear 02-27-2013 03:40 AM

For proper halter turnout, yes the mane should be pulled and or cut, thinned and banded for stock horse breeds. The purpose is to show off a long, muscled neck. For a less competitive local show, you can leave it long, but if two horses are equal in conformation, chances are the one with the neat banded mane will place higher. I have never seen a running braid in stock horse halter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stichy 02-27-2013 02:09 PM

Ooh, ok thanks for clearing it up!

kaylin13stewart 03-02-2013 06:48 PM

It is what you should do is cut the horses mane however I have competed in the aqha for fifteen years and I have shown a horse with a long mane and won. But her mane was thick of equal lenght and almost to her shoulder. So for her it was a complement for the mare.

Stichy 03-04-2013 12:20 PM

Ohh. So you don't get docked points or anything?

TrojanCowgirl 03-14-2013 08:41 PM

I haven't yet shown halter, but you don't HAVE to cut your horses mane. They won't deny your entry if your horse's mane is long. I've seen horses with long manes vs short manes win halter classes at local all breed shows. But then again, those aren't big shows and the mane has to compliment the horse. Personally, I won't be cutting my girl's mane. Her's is thick and long so I see no reason to. But it all depends on the judge and your preference. You're the one who has to live with the horse after all.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 03-14-2013 10:45 PM

You won't be docked points but you won't accumulate them either, plus most judges see it as disrespectful. You CAN but you have to be okay with (and to a certain extent) expect to, not winning. You would've surprised how fast little incidentals Iike a .3 % point for "turn-out" end up being the deciding factor.

I was a scribe for a show last year where the difference between Regional Champion and Reserve Champion was the Champion was wearing gloves, and got .1 (one tenth of a point higher).

Do what you want but expect the consequences.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stichy 03-15-2013 01:55 AM

Wait, do you know why they see it as disrespectful?

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 03-15-2013 03:02 AM

There's a lot of reasons, each judge is different, but usually it's b/c they feel, you do not respect traditions of the sport, or you're displaying a lack of preparation/professionalism.
Banding & braiding is icing on the cake, and an unfrosted cake is an incomplete package, that by not banding or braiding you're telling the judge through your actions, you are disregarding their time, position and expertise, by not "icing the cake".
Posted via Mobile Device

Stichy 03-15-2013 03:21 AM

Oh no I'd band an braid, its the cutting part that get me lol