The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Full cheek snaffle with roller or keys? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/full-cheek-snaffle-roller-keys-154922/)

DraftyAiresMum 02-27-2013 02:02 PM

Full cheek snaffle with roller or keys?

I have had Aires in a 5.25" eggbutt french link snaffle, but we were having issues with it sliding through his mouth, even with a curb chain (he was gaping his mouth to evade the bit when turning right). Bit fit and teeth weren't the issue, as both were checked by a few different people. So, it was suggested that we try a full cheek snaffle. I haven't had the money until now to get a full cheek french link in the size we need (5.5" now), so he's been ridden in a leather nosepiece Little S hackamore, which he loves. However, since we're going to be showing western this year, I need to put him back in a bit (don't worry, his teeth will be checked again before I put him back in a bit).

Since he'll be four this May, I can still ride him in a snaffle at shows, correct?

Now for my real question. I saw a full cheek three piece snaffle with a copper roller at one of my local feed stores and I really think Aires would like it. Problem is that it was only a 5", which won't work for us. I've looked online and the only one I found that wasn't ridiculously expensive was an eBay auction that had already ended. I did, however, find a similar bit with keys instead of a roller.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251218873825?redirect=mobile

So, which is better? Keys or a roller?
Posted via Mobile Device

bonyroany 02-27-2013 04:39 PM

I've heard about eggbutt bits sitting funny in a horse's mouth before.

Bits with keys are old traditional breaking bits, which are pretty frowned upon these days. Most of the ones I've seen are ancient Never Rust bits. I would go with a roller, personally. Have you checked Dover Saddlery's website? I am checking out the Korsteel double jointed center copper roller D-ring snaffle for Rooster, but I don't think it comes in anything but a 5".

Good luck finding a bit!

DraftyAiresMum 02-27-2013 06:35 PM

The problem with the eggbutt was that it literally pulled through/into his mouth. I tried a curb chain and it didn't work, so everyone on here suggested a full cheek (with an explanation why, which really made sense and seemed like it would work for Aires).

Haven't tried Dovers yet. Will look there next. 5.5" is such an awkward size to find stuff in.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 02-27-2013 11:55 PM

Seriously! Are 5.5" bits THAT difficult to find?! I found what I want, but all they have are 5"! Soooooo frustrated right now!
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 02-28-2013 12:06 AM

Drafty, just curious, what do you plan to show in?

I have a 5.5" snaffle but it is single jointed and a little different, not an off set Dee but not loose ring, custom made.

DraftyAiresMum 02-28-2013 12:11 AM

I want to do probably western pleasure and not sure what else (would have to find the show schedule and too lazy to look right now). It's just local schooling shows.

Aires hates single jointed snaffles.

I've found exactly what I want, it's just $92.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-28-2013 12:20 AM

I've never seen someone show western in a full cheek snaffle. It's never been an issue for me because I only have loose rings and/or shown up in the bridle.

I like rollers better than keys though, in relevance to the question.

DraftyAiresMum 02-28-2013 12:25 AM

Sorrel, there was someone at the one show I went to last year that showed in a full cheek. Heck, if I could get away with showing in our Little S, I would. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wanstrom Horses 02-28-2013 12:38 AM

What about a bosal?

DraftyAiresMum 02-28-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses (Post 1915681)
What about a bosal?

I hadn't thought about a bosal...hmmmm
Posted via Mobile Device