The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Strange bumps on horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/strange-bumps-horse-154938/)

maddieantoinette 02-27-2013 05:47 PM

Strange bumps on horse

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I was out feeding this afternoon and I noticed some weird bumps on the barrel of my horse's chest and my horse's neck. She is losing some hair (but that could be from nips from the other horses... because they are all still settling in.) and the bumps feel like scabs. I have attached some pictures so you can see what the bumps look like, but I couldn't get any close ups of the bumps/scabs. She acts like the are itchy because she is swatting her tail and scratching herself with her back hooves.

Any advice?

maddieantoinette 02-27-2013 05:49 PM

I forgot to add that they were not there this morning when I fed them.

BornToRun 02-27-2013 05:50 PM

Hm, they look like hives to me.

maddieantoinette 02-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1914882)
Hm, they look like hives to me.

Any ideas what from? We haven't changed her feed or anything in about a month. We went up from a 3% fat to an 8% fat because the vet recommended it about a month ago, but that is the last change.

BornToRun 02-27-2013 06:34 PM

There are many causes that are implicated such as inhaled allergens (pollens and molds), medications most commonly penicillin, dietary causes such as certain grains, insect hypersensitivity, or even cold/heat on the skin.

walkinthewalk 02-27-2013 06:52 PM

I agree that looks like hives.

Have you wormed her in the last few days? Any meds?

Have you changed hay? Even if you haven't, has it been checked for any type of weeds or mold?

If she's on a roundbale, how long has the roundbale been out?

If she's on pasture, it's entirely possible she's eaten some sort of weed that she wouldn't normally eat because grass isn't plentiful.

One of my horses comes in smelling like wild onions every night because they are growing taller & faster than anything in the pasture and he loves them.

skipsangelheir 02-27-2013 08:16 PM

My.mare had very similar sores on her a few years ago. Hers were from buffalo gnats. She got them for 2 years in a row during the last week in feb. Check to see if there Are any small bugs on your horse. I took care of them with fly spray.
Posted via Mobile Device

EthanQ 02-27-2013 08:18 PM

My gelding always attracts Bot flies during the summer and fall, that when they bite like a normal horsefly, they leave welts. I don't know if there are any flies out yet where you live.

maddieantoinette 02-27-2013 08:33 PM

I spoke with my neighbor that is training to be a large animal veterinarian and she said that it looked to be the start of rain rot. She also gave me some stuff to wash it with twice a week to get rid of it. It has been really wet and she's been staying out in the pasture more even though she has 24/7 access to a run-in, so my neighbor is pretty confident about it. Hopefully she is right. I plan on having the vet out soon to double check, but they can't come until late next week.

Thanks so much for your help everyone.

maddieantoinette 02-27-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinthewalk (Post 1914970)
I agree that looks like hives.

Have you wormed her in the last few days? Any meds?

Have you changed hay? Even if you haven't, has it been checked for any type of weeds or mold?

If she's on a roundbale, how long has the roundbale been out?

If she's on pasture, it's entirely possible she's eaten some sort of weed that she wouldn't normally eat because grass isn't plentiful.

One of my horses comes in smelling like wild onions every night because they are growing taller & faster than anything in the pasture and he loves them.

She hasn't been wormed since late December and she isn't on any medication. We haven't changed hay either, the pasture is pretty muddy (especially with all of the rain). We give free choice hay in the barn and the get extra hay and grain at feeding time. I guess it is possible she got into something in the paddock, but I can't know for sure. I have checked and double checked many times to make sure there is nothing growing that is dangerous to their health, but she is pretty sensitive.