The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Round bales (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/round-bales-154942/)

Cowgirls Boots 02-27-2013 06:28 PM

Round bales

125 Attachment(s)
So the farm I recently moved back to (was there for 8months, left and just came back) makes there own hay. But, they let the round bails sit outside so they get moldy on the outside. Usually the top layer gets peeled off before going out to the horses, but is it normal to leave them out? I mean the round bail that was just put out today has a moldy spot on the side but the horses are just eating through the middle to the good hay and are ignoring the bad hay. Input/thoughts? The hay on the inside looks fairly decent but the last bail (which still has some left overs) doesnt look so great but it's been pretty crapola weather here lately and the hay is wet but the horses were still eating it until they put out a new bale.
Posted via Mobile Device

Janna 02-27-2013 06:34 PM

The hay I get is usual only nasty on the part that had been sitting on the ground.
The horses simply don't touch it and I've never had a problem.
Not a big moldy spot... I'm not sure.

PaintHorseMares 02-27-2013 06:35 PM

Some people do leave round bales out, but all the growers I know that target horse owners shelter their bales.
Horses will eat around any gnarly hay, and there is nothing wrong with wet hay, though many picky horses won't touch it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Janna 02-27-2013 06:37 PM

Yeah, that. Wet hay won't hurt them. Sometimes we get light rain and the horses eat it, which is good... They usually have it eaten before it gets nasty.

Cowgirls Boots 02-27-2013 06:43 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I could be wrong. May not be moldy but it is dark and gnarly. I never had an issue with it last year they simply just ignored it but I was curious this go around. I bought round bails and they were also stored under shelter.
Posted via Mobile Device

6W Ranch 02-27-2013 06:46 PM

Yes, it's fine. They will pick around it, and not eat moldy/bad hay.

PaintHorseMares 02-27-2013 06:47 PM

When it's been rained and snowed on for a week, it can look pretty nasty and still be good. Our mares will eat them all the way to the ground and I haven't met a horse that would eat moldy hay.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirls Boots 02-27-2013 06:51 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Awesome. Thanks! Yah the older bale looks pretty gross but they were still eating it. The new one though they'd rather eat that haha
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 02-27-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots (Post 1914966)
Awesome. Thanks! Yah the older bale looks pretty gross but they were still eating it. The new one though they'd rather eat that haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. That's why we wait until they eat almost all of it. If you put out a new, dry bale they'll of course leave the wet stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 02-27-2013 08:33 PM

It's usually ok. My farmer stores the round bales in a big barn but they can still get a yucky outer layer. I just don't feed it.

I would suggest getting the botulism shots though if you are feeding round bales...