The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stone bruise or something else? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stone-bruise-something-else-154977/)

PaintLover17 02-27-2013 11:53 PM

Stone bruise or something else?

Almost 2 weeks ago I took Amber for a short trail ride without her boots on (she's barefoot) and she got what I assumed was a stone bruise (head bobbing slightly in the trot and a short, choppy stride). I gave her some time off and went to ride her again yesterday because she had no visible lameness when I trotted her off in hand. When I started trotting her (riding) she was still bobbing her head and just as lame as she was on day one. So I get off and leave a message for the farrier. I decided I was going to pinpoint exactly what was going on so I trotted her off in hand and she had no visable lameness. So I hop on bareback and she is 100% sound walk, trot, and canter. Strange. So today I hop on again and she was slightly lame in the trot and canter at first (no head bobbing, just a shorter stride), but worked out of it within 10 minutes and was again completely sound. I have also noticed that the last couple days she has been resting her back left foot quite a bit. I can see nothing wrong with the foot but it is clearly bothiring her. The strange thing is the stone bruise (if that's what it was) was in her front right foot. So now I am officially confused. If it was a bruise or an abcess she would get better with work, right? Hopefully the farrier will call me back soon, but until then any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintLover17 02-28-2013 08:58 AM

Anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintLover17 02-28-2013 11:58 AM

I heard back from my farrier and he said it sounds like she is just a bit sore from being out without her boots. He said if she isn't ok within a few days to then call the vet. This sounds like a good explanation to me. It seems like too much of a coincidence for her to come up lame right after riding without her boots and to be anything but that. Does this sound plausible to anyone else?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 02-28-2013 12:13 PM

Go out real early in the morning and all four feet should be cold to the touch. If she has an abscess working, that hoof will feel warmer. You can also monitor her temperature, usually in the evening. An abscess will elevate it just a little.

PaintLover17 02-28-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1916164)
Go out real early in the morning and all four feet should be cold to the touch. If she has an abscess working, that hoof will feel warmer. You can also monitor her temperature, usually in the evening. An abscess will elevate it just a little.

Her feet are cold in the morning and she does not have a temperature. The farrier does not think it is an abscess because she gets better with work. Thank you for your reply! :D

amberly 02-28-2013 12:38 PM

I'm not an expert yet, but I wanted to comment on your horse's name!! It is a beautiful name for a horse! The first horse I ever had was also the best horse I will ever come across. I have known her for at last 11 years. The last time I saw her I was 8! But I still love her to pieces seven years later. She doesn't live with me anymore - she was too old, so she wouldn't survive the winters here. And we didn't have enough money.