The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   rode when i was little ... now want to get back into it ! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/rode-when-i-little-now-want-154998/)

horsebeginner 02-28-2013 08:44 AM

rode when i was little ... now want to get back into it !

hello :)
i used to ride when i was little probably from the age of 9 until 13, i was never classed as an experienced rider, i had some lessons had my own pony but it was mainly hacking, so only learnt walk trot canter and as i started to learn jumping my family had to move to the horses had to get sold. but now i am 21 and looking to gat back into it! am i mad ? im worried that people will think im rubbish. and not sure where to start, a few of my friends family friends have horses bu ti dont want to pester them so i think im gunna book myself in at the only riding stables where i live ! i will ride for the 1st time in about 8 years !!! :) just looking for some encuragement and advice on starting again i think :)

lasso 02-28-2013 08:51 AM

well you could start with taking lessons and go from there

katievit 02-28-2013 08:54 AM

No your not mad :) I rode on and off till the age of 12. Then had a hack or two on holidays when I was 14-15. I'v recently taken it back up at the age of 20, first went on a hack with my bf on his family friends horses and then joined the equestrian club at my university. I hadn't done any jumping till I joined the uni club. I don't think it's ever too late to start or start again.

Just go to a local stables and explain you used to hack out a lot and have horses when you were a kid and want to get back into it, they will have had loads of people who have been in the same situation.

LynnF 02-28-2013 10:50 AM

Not mad at all! I have a very good family friend that started taking lessons from me at the age of 63. It is never too late.

wetrain17 02-28-2013 02:59 PM

There are a lot of people in your same situation. Look for a facility that offers lessons close by. Tell them what you did, although seeing it was 8 years ago, they'll probably start you from the beginning. Don't worry about what others think and say; as long as you enjoy it, that is all that matters.

smrobs 02-28-2013 03:19 PM

Howdy and welcome to the forum :D. You're not crazy for wanting to get back into it. The wonderful thing about the horse world is that it doesn't matter what your age or experience level is, there is a horse to fit you.

I also advise you look around your area for a lesson barn. If you can find one that caters to beginners and also happens to coach the discipline that you ultimately want to do, all the better. If you can't find one like that, though, just start out with one that teaches all the basics then you can move to a more specialized barn later on.

horsebeginner 03-01-2013 09:45 AM

I have booked a lesson !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got one on Saturday :) superexcited ! Looked out my riding hat which still fits, but then the puppy ate it :( gutted !
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 03-01-2013 10:13 AM

I second what others have said. It's never too late to get back into horses. One of my newest students is a re-rider that rode as a kid and is now close to 60. I love beginner adult students, they listen better, try harder and go with the flow. Lessons are a great place to start. You can get back into the swing of things without the cost of ownership. Then one day when you might be thinking of your own you will be more prepared.

Good luck at your lesson! Do let us know how it goes.

hberrie 03-01-2013 09:47 PM

I started taking lessons at 9, got my own horse at 12, sold him out for a boyfriend, and started taking lessons again at 32. Bought a horse and have owned him for a year now. It is never too late to start again.

MyBoyPuck 03-01-2013 11:10 PM

Rode briefly when I was 8, didn't ride for 20 years. Been riding ever since. Most sane thing I ever did. Welcome back to riding! Have fun at your lesson.