The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Unreliable farriers/trimmers (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/unreliable-farriers-trimmers-155012/)

Saddlebag 02-28-2013 11:17 AM

Unreliable farriers/trimmers

We have to call people from about 200 miles. We get farriers anxious for the business so we make sure there is plenty of work to warrant the trip, unusally two days worth. Some last longer than others and we are now searching for another. Altho many horses are barefoot, there are those that require corrective shoeing which is beyond the skills of a trimmer.

themacpack 02-28-2013 11:23 AM

Not sure what it is you are trying to say or ask? I understand what you wrote, it just seems like it may be an incomplete post???

walkinthewalk 02-28-2013 12:57 PM

I'm sensing the OP is venting and perhaps looking for another qualified farrier/trimmer.

Shoot, I am surrounded by farriers and so-called barefoot trimmers --- most of them aren't worth a Pinch of Salt and about half of those show up when they're supposed to:?

200 miles is a long-butt haul, no matter how many horses are involved; I'm sure whomever was/is doing your hoof work grows weary of that, especially in your Ontario winters:cry:

Is there anyway possible someone in your group would be willing and able to learn trimming? Seems to me that would be the Lesser of the Evils in your situation:-)

The horses that need corrective shoes - is that because they are ridden all the time and need shoes to prevent something from happening during all that hard riding? If not, I'm sticking my neck and saying they don't need shoes - they just need a trimmer that is very well versed on problem-solving the correct way:-)

The shod horse(s) would benefit greatly from being trimmed every four weeks (therefore could probably stay barefoot) but, from the sounds of things that is an impossible feat:-(

Again, going back to the question - is there anyone in your group, with common sense and logic, that would be willing to learn the trade?

Animallover707 02-28-2013 05:41 PM

i know im 2 and a half hours up in the mountains and usually once a farrier makes the trip, they dont come back. It sucks because one of my new horses has horrible hooves. so iv been researching and finding out all i can about how to do it myself so that i dont have to rely on peopke who dont want to show up.