The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   using spurs (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/using-spurs-155017/)

Jim Andy 02-28-2013 01:25 PM

using spurs

I'm interrested to know folks feelings about the use of spurs.:?

smrobs 02-28-2013 01:29 PM

Use them...don't use them, makes no difference to me.

My only hang-up is that I feel people should know how and why to use them before sticking them on their boots.

Deschutes 02-28-2013 01:31 PM

I use them to help reinforce my leg. But pretty much only on one horse who gets excited about what he does, and cares more about winning than I do. : p
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 02-28-2013 01:32 PM

I don't think they are necessary. I believe that you should be able to direct your horse with your body and communication. Buck Brannaman is a good example of directing with your feet without coming in contact with the horses ribs or shoulder. Of course to start you might need to, but eventually he can cross his arms, close his eyes, and direct with his feet and he knows exactly what his horse is doin.

Speed Racer 02-28-2013 01:36 PM

They're supposed to be an extension of your heels and used to reinforce commands and direct finer movement in the horse, not to gouge them and make them go forward.

If you want to wear them, get the proper instruction first. If you're trail riding, you don't need them. What you need is a properly trained horse and rider team.

CowboyBob 02-28-2013 01:36 PM

Heels down, Great leg control, or don't even think about spurs. If you can't ride with out them I would suggest training not spurs. If you are looking for quicker response with less pressure then that's what they do. But if you don't have GREAT leg control its not fair to your horse to wear them. I wear spurs they are a good tool for someone who know how and when to use them.

Deschutes 02-28-2013 01:52 PM

Excuse me if I am being presumptuous, please. I don't gouge with spurs. I ask with leg first, and if I get no response, I use the spur to give added pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 02-28-2013 01:56 PM

I know different uses of spurs, I was just talking about in general. haha!

Speed Racer 02-28-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deschutes (Post 1916241)
Excuse me if I am being presumptuous, please. I don't gouge with spurs. I ask with leg first, and if I get no response, I use the spur to give added pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never stated you did. Spurs aren't necessary for trail riding, which is what I'm presuming the OP is thinking about doing, since he put the thread in Trail Riding.

If he has a recalcitrant horse who won't go forward he doesn't need spurs, but the horse and perhaps rider need more training.

mollymay 02-28-2013 02:13 PM

I wear spurs with my horse. He has only been worked for less then a year. I only use the spurs if he is acting up- refusing to do as I ask or backing up. I board at a barn with a trainer who has been training horses from start to finish for over 50 years. So he taught me how to properly use them and when.
Posted via Mobile Device