The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   AniMed products...too good to be true? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/animed-products-too-good-true-155051/)

BeachinIt 02-28-2013 07:26 PM

AniMed products...too good to be true?

Hey all! So I'd like to put my mare on a "broad spectrum" joint supplement with glucosamine, chondroitin, and HA. I've read the reviews for the AniMed AniFlex Complete and they are great for the most part (including your, kassierae!). But the low price of their products makes me a bit leery. Has anyone else has experience with this product or any others they produce? The ingredient list looks good, I'm just worried about feeding her a low quality supplement. I don't want to do more harm than good. I was going to put her on MSM but I think she needs a bit more than just a preventative measure...

walkinthewalk 02-28-2013 07:40 PM

A lot of folks with metabolic horses use their "Remission" and are happy with it.

I bought their Ulc-R-Aid based on the good reviews I read but I should have read the label first.

It has dextrose in it. I called the company and they confirmed it has 50% dextrose in it:shock: That means I cannot use it on my insulin resistant horse.

I'm not saying the Ulc-R-Aid won't be good for a healthy horse but, with a base of 50% Dextrose, there is no way in the next two lifetimes I am feeding it to a horse whose insulin levels I have a difficult time controlling:-(

COWCHICK77 02-28-2013 08:19 PM

I have used the AniHist and BugLyte made by AniMed on a horse that had a bad allergic reaction to something.(originally thought Sweet Itch, but still not quite sure what caused the reaction)

They both did help, but not a miracle by any means.

PunksTank 02-28-2013 08:23 PM

I use MSM as a joint supplement for all my horses, I use Animed. I think the reason they're so cheap is because they were the first to start distributing MSM. I love the product. I've found glucosamine is pretty useless as an oral supplement, so I just get pure MSM.

kassierae 02-28-2013 09:05 PM

I also use the BugLyte for my gelding as well, and without his belly gets raw, bloddy and scabby. It doesn't make the bugs go away completely, but does make the sweet itch go away. I've also known more than just my horse to have success with the joint supplements.

kassierae 02-28-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 1916926)
I use MSM as a joint supplement for all my horses, I use Animed. I think the reason they're so cheap is because they were the first to start distributing MSM. I love the product. I've found glucosamine is pretty useless as an oral supplement, so I just get pure MSM.

I've used the AniFlex and AniFlex Complete, without a significant difference. Like I've said before, my mare is pretty much dead lame if she's not on her supplement, but within a week of going back on it she's about 95% sound.

2SCHorses 02-28-2013 09:13 PM

I have 2 of 3 horses on Remission. I like it a lot. It is a hoof, dietary and mag supplement all in one. I am pleased with how their hooves look and my mare's attitude is better with the extra magnesium. Like the fact it has pre/probiotics, too, as their vitamin does not so I know they are getting some. They now only get 1/2 ounce, so it is cost effective. It wasn't a miracle, however - it took time for improvement, but it definitely happened.