The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Small Cut Above Coronary Band Leads to Swelling, and More? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/small-cut-above-coronary-band-leads-155053/)

csimkunas6 02-28-2013 08:52 PM

Small Cut Above Coronary Band Leads to Swelling, and More?

Rodeo was moved back up to West Virginia. Saturday he was turned out for the first time since being back. The horses are turned out on a 10acre field, and Rodeo has done really well with the other horses, there are only 2 horses that are new to him, as he has been to this barn before. He was doing great up until Tuesday. He came in Tuesday night with obvious bleeding on his left hind leg. The BO washed it out, took a look at it, and saw there was nothing in it. He picked the foot out, put some ointment on it, and that was that.

I went out yesterday, and there was obvious swelling, but it was weight baring, he took a few steps here and there where he was off, but very few. I cold hosed it, and put some more ointment on it. They kept him in the stall yesterday, and when I went out today, I was expecting it to look better, but it was quite the opposite. Swelling went up more, and he went from weight baring, to not baring weight at all. Once again, I cold hosed it, rechecked it, and I dont know, I dont understand why this little cut is causing so much swelling, and so much pain!?

After the cold hosing, a good bit of swelling went down, I talked to the BO again, and gave the vet a call, and they told me to turn him out and see how he did with some movement.

Im thinking that him being out is the right call, because the more I make him move, the better he seems to do on it.

So this was from yesterday
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps6de3e079.jpg
As was this
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...psb9443265.jpg

I inspected it more today...
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps99a3b2a8.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps864e385b.jpg

Sorry, I know the photos arent all that great, but with moving, things are still packed, including my camera. The only thing I can think of doing, is cold hosing tomorrow, rechecking it, and if its not any better have the vet come out and look at it. I was thinking of wrapping it up, but the little bugger chews the wraps off every time! Not to mention, he ended up banging his head against the hay rack in the stall making a nice gash on his face!

Suggestions? Thanks!

Oldhorselady 02-28-2013 09:15 PM

He may have abscessed at his coronary band. If he is oozing puss, you can soak it in epsom salts to draw it out. As long as it doesn't get worse, he would probably be ok.

smrobs 02-28-2013 09:17 PM

To my eye, it looks like one of two things.

1) Puncture. He might have really jammed something in there pretty deep and done more damage than it appears. In which case, probably need the vet.

2) Ruptured abscess. I've never had one bust that far up onto the pastern, but I suppose stranger things have happened. There may still be some infection in there deeper causing the increasing lameness and swelling. In which case, probably need the vet.

BUT, there is always option 3) He's being a drama queen. It's possible that the injury is no worse than it looks and, being a couple of days later, the swelling and soreness are at their peak and he's just being a baby about it.

csimkunas6 02-28-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 1916911)
He may have abscessed at his coronary band. If he is oozing puss, you can soak it in epsom salts to draw it out. As long as it doesn't get worse, he would probably be ok.

Thanks Oldhorselady! Didnt even think of that! I will try the epsom salts, and see how it goes from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1916918)
To my eye, it looks like one of two things.

1) Puncture. He might have really jammed something in there pretty deep and done more damage than it appears. In which case, probably need the vet.

2) Ruptured abscess. I've never had one bust that far up onto the pastern, but I suppose stranger things have happened. There may still be some infection in there deeper causing the increasing lameness and swelling. In which case, probably need the vet.

BUT, there is always option 3) He's being a drama queen. It's possible that the injury is no worse than it looks and, being a couple of days later, the swelling and soreness are at their peak and he's just being a baby about it.

smrobs, I was thinking something could be jammed in there too, but my BO dug in there a little bit when he first saw Rodeo, and said he didnt see anything, not saying that there isnt something jammed in there still.

As for him being a drama queen, I almost want to say that he is, but I dont want to say he is if he is actually in pain! lol...the little stinker!

BO just called, and said that Rodeo came in from the pasture limping pretty good, so Ill go out tomorrow and see how he is, should I give him some bute? Or do you think it isnt necessary?

6W Ranch 02-28-2013 09:37 PM

If he were mine, I'd soak it in epson salts for as long as he'll stand good, then squirt some vetericyn on hole, then pack it in ichthammol & wrap with a diaper, vetrap and duct tape. I'd try that for a couple days. That's usually a pretty quick fix unless there's some other type of damage. Ichthammol is pretty powerful stuff on this kind of injury.

smrobs 02-28-2013 10:46 PM

I'm not a fan of bute unless the pain from the injury is severe and the horse is basically immobile (stalled). The way I see it, if they don't feel how much they are hurting, then they don't remember they are injured, and they might get to playing and re-injure or injure themselves even more.

Cherie 02-28-2013 10:57 PM

It is deep. It is also too high for a hoof abscess. If he were mine, I'd put him on an antibiotic, give him a Tetanus Antitoxin shot and keep it wrapped to keep it clean. If I put anything on it topically, it would be DMSO with an antibiotic like Furacin or Gentomycin mixed in it. I would keep a close watch on his temperature. I would take it every evening. It will tell you if you have an infection. I would not give Bute. You want to know how it is coming along or if he gets worse.

Trinity3205 02-28-2013 11:06 PM

def looks like a fairly deep puncture to me

csimkunas6 03-01-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Obviously if I didnt feel the vet was needed, I wouldnt call, but Im going to give them a call today. BO said he came in last night limping pretty good, and he is in the same condition this morning in his stall, so. Little bugger! Not even a full week out in the new pasture and he does this!

mls 03-01-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1917119)
It is deep. It is also too high for a hoof abscess. If he were mine, I'd put him on an antibiotic, give him a Tetanus Antitoxin shot and keep it wrapped to keep it clean. If I put anything on it topically, it would be DMSO with an antibiotic like Furacin or Gentomycin mixed in it. I would keep a close watch on his temperature. I would take it every evening. It will tell you if you have an infection. I would not give Bute. You want to know how it is coming along or if he gets worse.

Actually an abscess can travel the path of least resistance and come out anywhere in lower leg.

OP - please do NOT give an antibiotic without a vet looking at it. The type of antibiotic will depend on what you are dealing with.

Do NOT put DMSO on an open wound. DMSO is a transfer agent and any bacteria on the surface will be absorbed into the blood stream.

Apuncture can come across as innocuous but be very dangerous indeed.