The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   HELP~ New to showing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/help%7E-new-showing-155084/)

RunningJumpingHorses 03-01-2013 12:51 AM

HELP~ New to showing

Hi. I've ridden western almost all my life but I've ridden English a good chunk of it too. I use to go to an English camp every summer and l loved it. I quite riding english for a while and now I want to start again. I went to a showing school gor both western and english (showed in both) last week that's a series for high point at the end of the year and didn't do the best I know I can do. And a really rude girl won and that made me mad and hurt. (seeing how she just looked down on my horse all day)My horse loves jumping but there were only flat classes. I placed fourth in walk trot equitation and third in bareback equitation. My horse is a QH so I'm thinking more in the direction of hunter shows but know NOTHING about them. Any tips to do better in the ring or to get showing in hunter will be much appreciated!! Thanks so much!

waresbear 03-01-2013 12:59 AM

The best tip I can give is to find a coach and get lessons. Also, ignore the snobs, it's very rude to look down upon your competition. Also, don't be mad at the winners (even if they are rude), they are what you aspire to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

RunningJumpingHorses 03-01-2013 01:12 AM

Thanks! And I might join our local pony club so that should help. But do you have any tips on what I should do to really get noticed in the ring?

RunningJumpingHorses 03-01-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1917397)
The best tip I can give is to find a coach and get lessons. Also, ignore the snobs, it's very rude to look down upon your competition. Also, don't be mad at the winners (even if they are rude), they are what you aspire to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks. And I might join our local pony club so thy might help. Do you have by advice on how to get noticed in the ring. That flat classes are in one big group an my mare is really cute but there were a lot of fancy paints that just out shined my roan haha

waresbear 03-01-2013 01:29 AM

Ride well, that's how you get noticed! Of course make sure your horse is impeccably groomed and your tack is cleaned & polished, your attire is clean, appropriate and fits well. You don't need the best gear, but what you do have should fit well and be kept in tip top shape. Last year I was in class of about 15 entries, some very flashy paints, palomino, a black horse, and here I had a solid paint sorrel horse, but I won or came in 2nd every time. The ring steward that assists the judge is friends with my instructor, she relayed that the judge said to her, that lady (meaning me, yay) can ride very well. I was very thrilled when the word got back to me, all the practice and lessons paid off.