The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   getting a saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/getting-saddle-155099/)

nikyplushbreyer 03-01-2013 09:13 AM

getting a saddle?

so i just recently got a horse (3-4months ago) and this year for my b day my mom said i could get a sadd;e the only problem is that we have not measured our horse. so we went to the tack shop (champions) to see what saddle would fit me and the strips and all that cool stuff so we said we would be back with the measurements of the horse right when we where walking out the for the lady who owns the barn we bored hampton at said the he needed a cut in saddle so we walked back in the store only to find there where non we talked to the lady to see if they where getting some anytime soon and they said sometime in may.and i thought "wit a sec we have to wait all the way till may to get a special saddle for hampton" ofter a while we looked at his withers and they where really high (he is a thoroughbred) then we went to mernas boots and bits. their cut in saddle where like 10k+ and i thought nope we are not doing this. so my mom and I got back in the car and my mom said "no we are not getting a saddle of that price" and since then we have not been able to find one (an english saddle) so i was wandering if you guys knew any really cheap websites that had good prices for a cut in english saddle

Joe4d 03-01-2013 09:20 AM

please gather your thoughts and repost, have no idea what you are trying to say.
If you are talking champion saddlery north of richmond va, they have a round pen specifically for fitting saddles and are actually pretty good at it. Take your horse to them.

Speed Racer 03-01-2013 09:23 AM

Are you talking about a cutback style? What disciplines are you planning to ride/show? You need to determine that before you go looking willy-nilly for an English saddle.

I own two AP English saddles because I do different things, and the AP style works best for me. There are dressage, jumping, close contact, endurance, saddleseat, and other styles of English saddles. Saddles are as individual as the disciplines in which they're used.

Figure out what discipline you're planning to ride the majority of the time, measure your horse, and THEN go out looking for a saddle. Buying a saddle just because it's an English cutback doesn't mean it will work for what you plan to do.

nikyplushbreyer 03-01-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1917568)
Are you talking about a cutback style? What disciplines are you planning to ride/show? You need to determine that before you go looking willy-nilly for an English saddle.

I own two AP English saddles because I do different things, and the AP style works best for me. There are dressage, jumping, close contact, endurance, saddleseat, and other styles of English saddles. Saddles are as individual as the disciplines in which they're used.

Figure out what discipline you're planning to ride the majority of the time, measure your horse, and THEN go out looking for a saddle. Buying a saddle just because it's an English cutback doesn't mean it will work for what you plan to do.

oh sorry, i forgot to put that in there. lol. i am doing hunter,cross country and three day eventing

SlideStop 03-01-2013 09:27 AM

Go under tack and classified here. There's TONS of cheap used saddles. I'm also selling one. I'd never pay more then $600-1000 for an everyday saddle. Now if your going to be taking him to fancy shows I'd shell out a bit more, but still by used at a reasonable price.
Posted via Mobile Device

nikyplushbreyer 03-01-2013 09:30 AM

thanks ya my mom said that she doesn't what to go over $15hundred for a saddle

Speed Racer 03-01-2013 09:35 AM

If you're going to be training for over fences, cross country and eventing, you'll need an eventing, jumping or CC saddle. The majority of those 3 types of saddles don't have cutbacks, and if they do, they're extremely minor.

You seem to be caught up with the term 'cutback', for some reason. That's not a type of saddle, it's merely a style.

I have to say, your goals are rather lofty. All of those disciplines require intense training, and are expensive in which to compete. Not saying you can't do all three, but you may find you don't have the time or desire to continue with more than one of them.

Where is your trainer in all of this? He/she should be advising you on the best type of saddle for what you want to do, not just let you wander around blindly, looking at inappropriate tack.

nikyplushbreyer 03-01-2013 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=Speed Racer;1917584]If you're going to be training for over fences, cross country and eventing, you'll need an eventing, jumping or CC saddle. The majority of those 3 types of saddles don't have cutbacks, and if they do, they're extremely minor.

You seem to be caught up with the term 'cutback', for some reason. That's not a type of saddle, it's merely a style.

I have to say, your goals are rather lofty. All of those disciplines require intense training, and are expensive in which to compete. Not saying you can't do all three, but you may find you don't have the time or desire to continue with more than one of them.

Where is your trainer in all of this? He/she should be advising you on the best type of saddle for what you want to do, not just let you wander around blindly, looking at inappropriate tack.[/QUOTE
well, i don't exactly have a trainer she just owns the barn that hampton is at there are only two horses there:hampton and Stetson.i have my riding instructor but she does not have time to come with me to every tack shop i go to and the lady who owns the barn doesn't really ride she only does natural horsemanship

Speed Racer 03-01-2013 09:51 AM

Your instructor doesn't need to go with you but she should be able to tell you what type of saddle you're going to need, and point you in the right direction.

As it is, neither you nor your mother have any clue what you need. It's not just the saddle, either. There are different types and styles of bridles, bits, leathers, stirrups and other paraphernalia, as well as rider apparel that are required for each discipline.

Wanting to do something is fine, but not having an idea of how to get there and do it properly is not.

nikyplushbreyer 03-01-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1917606)
Your instructor doesn't need to go with you, but she should be able to tell you what type of saddle you're going to need, and point you in the right direction.

As it is, neither you nor your mother have any clue what you need. It's not just the saddle, either. There are different types and styles of bridles, bits, leathers, stirrups, other paraphernalia, as well as rider that are required for each discipline.

Wanting to do something is fine, but not having an idea of how to get there and do it properly is not.

ya i know all that i also have the right rider apparel me and my mom know quite a bit about this stuff i just need to find the right saddle