The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Supplement suggestions to keep weight and muscle on an active horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/supplement-suggestions-keep-weight-muscle-active-155107/)

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-01-2013 10:48 AM

Supplement suggestions to keep weight and muscle on an active horse.

So my 16HH paint Pepper is my horse I take to playdays and give riding lessons with. He is my heart horse who I use the most. But since I use him the most I have to keep him fit and active. But unlike my other horses he loses fat very easily and losing his fat stores lead to muscle loss. I was wanting a supplement to add to his feed that helps build muscle and maintain healthy weight. Right now he is eating Dumor 14% and around a cup of beat pulp and right now daily hay since grass is still sparse. So I was wondering what you guys might suggest as far as maybe a supplement that would keep good weight or maybe I should try a different food type. I'm open to suggestions! I'm going to post a pic so you can see what I'm dealing with it takes no time at all for him to lose his fat. Then it looks like I'm starving him though he eats twice what the others get. Thanks in an advance for helping me keep the Pepper plump! :D

This is him now which I've got him built back some since the summer but he could still use more muscle.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...psce4dc814.jpg

This is the end of last summer
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...693D203E79.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 03-01-2013 02:00 PM

I think adding in a fat supplement could really help. If your horse will eat oil mixed in his food, flaxseed oil is fantastic, but can be a bit expensive. Canola oil is a good 2nd choice. If he doesn't find oil palatable, you can add flaxseed (which is ~40% fat) or rice bran (~22% fat).

You didn't mention how much hay he gets- you can try increasing that (offering it free choice if possible) or mix in some "richer" grass hay or alfalfa. Putting into a slow feeder net is also a good idea- slower intake of hay allows it to get processed more thoroughly in the digestive tract.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-01-2013 02:05 PM

He probably gets roughly 30lbs or so I have some big 70 lb bales the quality is nice it definitely has helped him gain weight. I'll try the flax seed oil I didn't think of that. I think if I introduced it a bit at a time he would eat it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trinity3205 03-01-2013 06:25 PM

Ditch the Dumor. Invest in a real quality brand like Triple Crown or something similar. I recommend TC Senior to get weight on a horse. When I switched to TC, my previously hard keepers all turned into easy keepers in about 4 months. Color me shocked because I had spend TONS on everything out there for years trying to find the best cheapest combo and nothing kept them as well or as easily as a great quality brand that uses quality ingredients like TC. For me, its like comparing the same amount in calories of McDonalds to an equal caloric portion of organic home cooked food. No comparison in which is better for you and keeps you healthier. Quality ingredients matter.

My previously hard keepers that were eating 6 to 8 lbs of various feeds ( Dumor, Purina, Nutrena *although I exempt Nutrenas Lifesyles from this list* Coop brands, local feed mill brands) plus alfalfa, they now keep on grass hay and a lb or two of the TC 30% supplement. When they go in more work I add alfalfa or swap to the TC senior to make up the calories.

Also, 1 cup of beet pulp isnt doing anything. You have to feed it by the LB to do much. 1 lb of it has about 1K calories. Weight it and feed everything by weight. Figure up the calories and you will have a much better idea of what your horse needs to hold and gain weight.

Ditto a slow feeder. Little and often has to be your motto from now on with any horse like this.Feeding meals is counter productive for horses like this. Keep all pelleted rations small and about 4 lbs or so.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-01-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity3205 (Post 1918343)
Ditch the Dumor. Invest in a real quality brand like Triple Crown or something similar. I recommend TC Senior to get weight on a horse. When I switched to TC, my previously hard keepers all turned into easy keepers in about 4 months. Color me shocked because I had spend TONS on everything out there for years trying to find the best cheapest combo and nothing kept them as well or as easily as a great quality brand that uses quality ingredients like TC. For me, its like comparing the same amount in calories of McDonalds to an equal caloric portion of organic home cooked food. No comparison in which is better for you and keeps you healthier. Quality ingredients matter.

My previously hard keepers that were eating 6 to 8 lbs of various feeds ( Dumor, Purina, Nutrena *although I exempt Nutrenas Lifesyles from this list* Coop brands, local feed mill brands) plus alfalfa, they now keep on grass hay and a lb or two of the TC 30% supplement. When they go in more work I add alfalfa or swap to the TC senior to make up the calories.

Also, 1 cup of beet pulp isnt doing anything. You have to feed it by the LB to do much. 1 lb of it has about 1K calories. Weight it and feed everything by weight. Figure up the calories and you will have a much better idea of what your horse needs to hold and gain weight.

Ditto a slow feeder. Little and often has to be your motto from now on with any horse like this.Feeding meals is counter productive for horses like this. Keep all pelleted rations small and about 4 lbs or so.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 03-01-2013 09:28 PM

Step Right Feeds. I noticed a big improvement in just a week on a mare I bought that was skinny. I SWEAR by this stuff.

Step Right Feeds

RATHER BE RIDING 03-01-2013 10:06 PM

Another vote for Triple Crown. I feed TC 30% Supplement. I have used a number of their products over the years and love their feed. Excellent quality and great customer service. If you have any questions about their feed, there is a chat on their website. If no one is online for a chat, you can email them and they always get back to you quickly.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-01-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Caili 03-05-2013 01:41 AM

Have you guys tried Alpha E Oil... it's said to put weight on a horse pretty well and gives them a shiny coat which is a bonus. I have been suggested this by ALOT of people. Even my vet/ dentist suggested it. He works wonders with horses.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-05-2013 01:42 AM

Thanks Caili I'll check that out!
Posted via Mobile Device