The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   I've Felt Collection! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ive-felt-collection-155118/)

Iseul 03-01-2013 01:20 PM

I've Felt Collection!

*squeels*
Atleast I'm pretty sure I have, for the first time. (:

Soo..I had the farrier out for Alahna (who will be coming back because he's cute and did a good job, lol) and I hopped on after he was done and left.

I only walked her today..and we definitely have to fix her walking off while I mount (which she's use to from the track and no one correcting it).

But, I put the snaffle on my new halter/bridle and worked on contact..Which, didn't really need worked on, haha. I took up contact after I asked her to walk and all of a sudden I felt her back lift up under me and could feel her stepping up more through the back end. She rounded her neck up, broke at the poll, and had her head on the vertical!!

She stopped chewing on the bit, stopped shaking/tossing her head and her walk was soo much smoother!

Soo..I think that's what collection is from what I've learned..didn't have anyone to take any pictures though! :(
So, next time I go up with Copperhead we'll have some pictures to show for it, haha.

I have to work on even being able to post her trot (fast and bouncy) before I can work on trying contact at the trot and rounding her up, but I think this is an awesome improvement! She even rounded her neck and tucked her head nicely to back, which was her almost smacking me in the fact the day I got her (saturday). (:
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-01-2013 01:42 PM

That's cool that she is developing such pliability and you such awareness. Non horse people simply cannot understand the thrill of such little steps, but I do!

Copperhead 03-01-2013 03:22 PM

Sounds like she softened and stepped through to the bit. I think she wants to learn and its a shame no one has done much with her so far. With her back being so sore, its good for her to stretch her topline.

I don't think she has the muscling and training to truly collect yet. It takes years to develop a horse mentally and physically enough for actual collection but with how much she is responding, it sounds like she is on her way. Keep up the good work :)

MyBoyPuck 03-02-2013 12:13 AM

That's great. That lifting back underneath you is quite the rush at any gait. Congrats!