The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Splint boots, galloping boots, sport boots, medicine boots.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/splint-boots-galloping-boots-sport-boots-155133/)

Horsecents1997 03-01-2013 02:48 PM

Splint boots, galloping boots, sport boots, medicine boots....

What's the difference between splint boots, galloping boots, sport boots and medicine boots? I'm trying to decide what to buy for my horse since he always knocks his legs on fences or rails and ends up cutting himself when I work him.

Details on each one please, what their for, events and such, what's good for lunging and jumping, what's the best for all around use. I would really love one set of boots that my horse could use for everything!! Thanks!!

Horsecents1997 03-03-2013 03:33 PM

bump :-)

BigBenLoverforLife 03-03-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsecents1997 (Post 1918059)
What's the difference between splint boots, galloping boots, sport boots and medicine boots? I'm trying to decide what to buy for my horse since he always knocks his legs on fences or rails and ends up cutting himself when I work him.

Details on each one please, what their for, events and such, what's good for lunging and jumping, what's the best for all around use. I would really love one set of boots that my horse could use for everything!! Thanks!!

I'll help a bit! :)

Splint boots just protect the splint bone, and have the padding over the splint, offers little to no support. Would not help a horse that cuts his legs over fences.

Galloping boots I believe do just about what the splint does.

Sport boots and med boots are the same thing. They would protect from feces, offer support of tendons, and protect the splint bone. I would suggest the venTECH Elliet boots from Pro Choice, they are by far the best boot I have ever used. Most of the earlier models dont breath well and dont offer as much support, IMO worth the $30 dollars from the SMB 2. Make sure you dont keep them on to long, to me I try to leave them on no longer than an hour, even though the box says up to 4. Also make sure that you get them tight enough so they dont fall down and mess with the horses movement. There are alot of great videos on YouTube about putting them on! I think these boots are great for all around, so I think they would fit your needs great!

If you need any more help, just ask! :D

VelvetsAB 03-03-2013 04:38 PM

I second the sport boot, or perhaps an open front type of boot.

But I would also question why my horse was always hitting his legs on fences. Most horses will knock a fence, and then be more careful. If he is continually hitting fences during a lesson, there could be something behind it that needs looked into.

Horsecents1997 03-03-2013 04:58 PM

Thanks! Oh, and what I meant by fences, like the round pen and stuff :) That's what he mostly hits his legs on, and since their metal bars I was worried. He's rather clumsy! So basically, sport boots cover everything?

VelvetsAB 03-03-2013 06:06 PM

Personally, I would not leave sport boots on all day, out of fear of them catching it and having it pulled tight.

cuttinmom 03-04-2013 02:36 PM

I use RES Equine sport boots. I think they are coming out with openfront boots soon. I luv their sport boots. Great protection and half the cost! www.resboot.com