The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   *pulls hair out* Advice Needed!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/%2Apulls-hair-out%2A-advice-needed-15518/)

Angilina 10-04-2008 03:46 PM

*pulls hair out* Advice Needed!!

There should be a test before you own or breed a horse. See the original rant here to make sense of what I'm saying.

My neighbors still will not get those pseudo-"geldings" out of that pasture! I'm convinced now that one of them was not gelded properly. I have asked them again and again to please move them. They're beginning to get annoyed with me because I'm evidently implying that their horses aren't worth anything because I don't want a foal like them.

HELLO!? Ugh! One is so aggressive it's not even worth trying to get near him, the other is so scared of people he will strike out or bite if you get too close to him. Their sire is somewhere on the thousand acres these people own. I asked them if they knew what pasture he was in, they said "Well, he's out there somewhere!" *laughter* They way they talk about this guy and where he might be, he might able up into the pasture next to my broodmares that is only separated from the cow pasture by a board fence any moment.

I'm in Georgia, is there an ordinance or law that says they are responsible if anything happens? I'm going out to document what we've done fence wise today, and writing down everything that has happened. I have four mares, two open. The two that are in foal are 20 (they act and look 6) and one has a filly at her side. I am very worried about this, mostly because of how little they have told me and what they have told me has not been good.

The aggressive gelding actually tried to climb over the cow wire and barbed wire fence on the side away from us to get a passing rider's mare. There are boarders out past us, and they ride by that paddock, they're considering moving if something isn't done.

I have offered to have my vet come and look at the geldings and stallion (if they could find him) and let me pay for the whole thing. I've strengthened their fences so now we have barbed wire/cow wire and then 4 strands of electric about 2 inches in front of that. I have told them I would be more than happy to help them sell them and even trailer them to their new owners. I offered to start them on ground work (which they have had none of, I don't even know how halter broke they are) but they would only accept an offer breaking them, which I do not have the time or experience for.

Last week they were talking about how well behaved and shaped my horses are, and how sweet they were. I asked them how they knew, because I they had never been around them to know knowledge. Turns out, they waited till I was gone ("We didn't want to bother you") and walked down there to "play" with the foal and the other horses. Boss Lady bit their 14 year old granddaughter, so they're convinced she's a maniac (Boss got a carrot for that, hehe). What got me was, I often walk into the trailer and find things out of order. Halters are missing that I know I haven't used, only to turn up hanging on the rack the next day. Saddle pads will leave, and I swear to you one turned back up next to our creek with motor oil on it. I've had a few western bits disappear and not return. I've started locking the trailer, but I can't keep them from walking down there.

This second rant was started by all of the actions above, and one today that was so completely out of line I had to leave. I drive up and I notice Pi and Maverick (both big sweet geldings) are not there to greet me as they always are. I figure something has happened to one and the other is sticking near his buddy, so I go to searching the pasture. Out of my woods comes the 14 year old granddaughter on Mav bareback with a halter looking like she was going to fall off leading Pi, also in a halter, with a girl would couldn't have been 6 on him. These are both tall geldings, 16.1 or 2. The youngest one had her hands buried in Pi's mane, holding on like there was no tomorrow. The 14 year old was kicking Mav (slowest creature on the face of the earth, all he does is walk) trying to get him to run and I think managed to make him sore on his sides. Pi and Mav see me and, being the good horses they are, walk straight to me despite her pulling on his reins hard to get him to turn. I tell the guys to stop about 40 ft from me and yell at the girls to go home now and that I would be calling their parents later. They jump off and run back to their house, presumably, as fast as they can. My guys walked up to me, lowered their heads for the halters, then took off to eat.

I called their parents and told them what happened. Their response? "Oh, but she was TRAINING them! She saw how slow that black one was and just knew she could help!" I actually choked on my words. "Excuse me? Training? Ma'am, she's 14 years old and has managed to bruise my gelding's ribs because she was kicking so hard. If she had picked another horse in my herd, she may well have sustained serious injury." "But she was TRAINING them! You're only 17!" "Yes ma'am, but there's a large difference between those with some experience and horse sense and a kid who thinks ponies are cute and pink." "But she was TRAINING them!" This went on for 15 minutes before I gave up and told her to keep a leash on her granddaughters.

I really don't want to get the authorities involved, any advice? Thank you all, and sorry for the rant. And my apologies to any pony owners who put pink stuff on them I offended Wink

missy06 10-04-2008 04:05 PM

I'm at a loss here. Not only are these people coming onto your property withing permission, riding your horses, they're defending themselves against doing all of that. I'm just flabbergasted. They are TRESPASSING. As materialistic as it sounds, those are your horses, your property, and they have no right to be around them if they don't have permission to do so. I don't know how laws work in Georgia, but call your local law enforcement agency and explain exactly what is going on.

I don't know what you can do about their horses tho...that's a tougher situation. The other one seems cut and dry: They are coming onto your land without your permission. End of story. I would have been a lot less polite on the phone than you were, believe me.

You're only 17? You have the maturity and thoughtfulness of someone 10 years older. :) But seriously, please call some outside agency and see what they can do. It's ridiculous.

NorthernMama 10-06-2008 11:34 PM

You have some serious trouble there. I know you said you don't want authorities involved, but I certainly would. If those girls get hurt on your property on your horses, guess whose liable??? YOU! Fair or not, that's the way it ends up. As for their horses that are a threat to your livestock, there usually are laws about that. Ask about livestock laws, not equine laws only. Most places have laws that people must have their livestock properly restrained. And get those kids off your property at all costs!

sempre_cantando 10-07-2008 12:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your situation - I can feel your frustration. I agree with what NM and Missy have said - even though you don't want authorities involved, I think it may be called for. I'd give these people another warning and if they don't listen and do something else wrong, I'd report them then for everything they've done.

Moxie 10-07-2008 12:45 AM

Being a paralegal in training, I could dig up some statues, I'm sure, however... being that they are trespassing they are at fault, obviously. What you may not know is that if they get hurt while trespassing on YOUR property, riding YOUR horses, YOU could be liable, I would suggest you look up attractive nuisance laws in your state.

I remember reading a case study in which a farmer set a booby trap for trespassers in one of his old abandoned buildings. When the trespasser came into this building, and got hurt, guess who got sued?

I know that getting the police involved might not be the most pleasing option, but it might be the only one at this point. Don't do it just for your own safety, but do it for the granddaughter's as well. I mean c'mon.... If their grandparents are that naive about the whole situation, a firm talking to by the police might set them straight.

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-07-2008 04:29 AM

for the past 2 1/2 years our horse star was untouchable, he wouldn't have any thing to do with any one.... i had once cought some boy's messing with him and told them if it happend again i would be calling the sheriff and then there parents, it so happend that i ran in to one of the boy's parents and was shooting the breez with them when it was mentioned about how his son said that it was cool that the boys could go and play with our horses at any time..this was untrue.....one parent delt with it while the other set of parents completley egnored every thing we had to say.......the one boy kept returning to see star when we were not home......rewined to last year...the boy is in the back of my husbands cruiser (age 12) in hand cuffs (state law for saftey of the officer when transporting a unstable person to a instatution ( mental or so farth) that they be hand cuffed)....it's a 2 hour transport and the kid reconisises my husband and starts to admit every thing he has done to my horse!!!!!......at first he broke in to our pen to listen to star talk.......we later found gash marks one abby's leg's (our pony) and didn't put 2 and 2 together...it got worse, even got to the point where we thought that star was getting to be a danger to every one and would probably be better off being put down.....(thus not knowing the horror that star had been going through) ....back to last week...on the phone with a neighbour who finally came out and told me that she saw whim beating star with unknow objects and took it upond her self to talk to him...never telling me this untill now....the boy and his family have moved ( not far enough) but out of our little town ...the left early spring...with in the last 2 1/2 months and a lot of work with star we now have gained stars trust.....he's very spoiled and know acts like a difrent horse altogether and am really looking forward to sending him off to trainer in a few months...don't be stupid like me...report it to the police!!

iridehorses 10-07-2008 08:02 AM

Kansas and all are right on. You can't afford to wait because these people have no respect for you or your horses or your property. Someone is liable to get hurt and you will end up being responsible - even though they trespassed. All that not to mention the damage they may be doing to your horses.

You have given them enough warning - certainly more then I would have done. You need to protect yourself and your horses.

Good luck with your situation, I can't even begin to tell you how upset yours and Kansas' story makes me. My farm backs up to a development and I'm always concerned about kids and dogs coming into my pasture - so far I've been very fortunate.

Joshie 10-07-2008 10:36 AM

What do your parents say? I'd ask them to speak with your neighbors. I'd also call your county and ask them about the laws. I'd be very afraid that their granddaughter will be hurt and then your parents will be sued. I'd get No Trespassing signs and have your parents speak with these people. I'd lock everything I can. Do you have a camcorder you could point in places you think they've been going?

This sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.

Moxie 10-07-2008 10:48 AM

Joshie brings a very valid idea. Document everything you can! That will only help your situation if ever it gets out of hand. Also, just posting 'No Trespassing' signs simply will not be enough, however it will help.