The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   anxiety disorder forum (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/anxiety-disorder-forum-155193/)

dommycob 03-02-2013 10:59 AM

anxiety disorder forum

This is just a forum for people with anxiety disorder or panic disorder or even just has a lot of anxiety to express themselves and tell us your ways to overcome it. Tell us a bit of your background fist.

I'll start.
Well, I'm theirteen and I had my first panic attack when I was nine. I tried to call an ambulance twice that night but my grandma stopped me. Sometimes a have month periods where everynight I have a panic attack. Sometimes I even have them in school which is awful. I have a thing about people.... I've always been terrified of murders or intruders. I'm scared to go into woods unless I'm on my horse. To over come panic attacks I think through what's made me afraid and manage to calm down.
Posted via Mobile Device

GamingGrrl 03-02-2013 11:31 AM

I'd been thinking of making a thread like this for a while, by then my silly anxiety never let me!

So here it goes....
I'm 18 and I have social anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder. My GAD makes me very paranoid and I hallucinate figures and ghosts. I can't leave doors open to rooms that don't have the lights on, home alone or when everyone is home. I can't shower with the curtain closed. I suspect that I've had anxiety for way longer than I've been diagnosed with it. My attacks come with random things as well (who would've known cat dissection day in my class would've caused an embarrassing in school attack?) I'm not currently on any medicines for it, because I personally feel like I need to grab the bull by the horns and conquer it myself. To manage my panic attacks, I breathe. I shut down until its just me and my thoughts and breathe. Focus hard on the breathing and it will eventually drown out the thoughts. I haven't found anything that prevents them from happenening, the breathing method just helps me come down from the panic attacks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silent 03-02-2013 06:56 PM

I'll go, as well.

I'm 15, and I've simply got social anxiety. I'm getting over it, slowly, but surely. There was a time where I got sick to my stomach whenever I even thought of going out in public, and around people. I'm still somewhat scared of people, but I'm doing better than I was. I try to fight the panicky feeling I get in my chest when I'm out in town or anything like that. I try to make myself talk to people in person to try to better conquer my fear and anxiety, but, I'm getting better with things, at least.

dommycob 03-02-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1919173)
I'd been thinking of making a thread like this for a while, by then my silly anxiety never let me!

So here it goes....
I'm 18 and I have social anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder. My GAD makes me very paranoid and I hallucinate figures and ghosts. I can't leave doors open to rooms that don't have the lights on, home alone or when everyone is home. I can't shower with the curtain closed. I suspect that I've had anxiety for way longer than I've been diagnosed with it. My attacks come with random things as well (who would've known cat dissection day in my class would've caused an embarrassing in school attack?) I'm not currently on any medicines for it, because I personally feel like I need to grab the bull by the horns and conquer it myself. To manage my panic attacks, I breathe. I shut down until its just me and my thoughts and breathe. Focus hard on the breathing and it will eventually drown out the thoughts. I haven't found anything that prevents them from happenening, the breathing method just helps me come down from the panic attacks.
Posted via Mobile Device

When you have one at school do you tell someone or keep it to yourself?
Posted via Mobile Device

Corazon Lock 03-02-2013 11:15 PM

This feels like an AA meeting haha. Lol, but I'll bite.

I'm 19, and I've had anxiety like forever, but in high school, I developed this severe phobia of vomiting. It was so bad that I went into a horrible depression, starved myself, and lost contact with pretty much everything in the world. I had ups and downs in high school, but I could never hang out with friends too much or go to new places for fear of getting sick or having a panic attack because of that fear.

This past year, I've really come out of it. I take Celexa, and that really aids me in being able to stay calm enough to think. My counselor is fantastic and has taught me a ton of things that have helped immensely. I feel like I have this freedom to do whatever - I don't panic much anymore.

I do have some social anxiety too, but it's a little weird. I have no problem with public speaking. I come across very confident and it just doesn't bother me. I have no problem with meeting new people. It's the phase after you meet people but you don't know them all that well where I get really anxious. I have a hard time being myself, and I never know what to say. I've grown into my own skin quite a bit this year too, but right now I'm particularly having that problem with a boy. :/

I really hope I can help some people on this thread learn to manage their anxiety because it's the best feeling in the world.

GamingGrrl 03-02-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dommycob (Post 1919718)
When you have one at school do you tell someone or keep it to yourself?
Posted via Mobile Device

I try to keep it to myself, but usually I'll step out of the classroom and give myself some distance from others. It helps to cue in your teachers as to whats going on and what they need to do to help you incase of panic attacks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oxer 03-03-2013 12:07 AM

I'm not an anxious person by nature... but i do have kind of a funny story. i drive to LA county for work. So i sit in traffic every day for about 2 hours. it's not something that i ever thought much about, until one day i started to get really bad heart palpitations. They became so bad, that i fainted in my kitchen one night. They took me to the ER and the doc shot me up with Ativan. I felt like a crazy person. They were asking me if i drank too much coffee, or if i was stressed at work, and blah blah blah. The truth is, I think what was truly stressing me out, was my nasty drive to work day after day after day. So i've started looking into taking the train to work in the morning, and saying "Goodbye!" to my terrible drive. It's pretty incredible how anxiety and stress can manifest physically. It can really take a toll on you.

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-03-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corazon Lock (Post 1920018)
This past year, I've really come out of it. I take Celexa, and that really aids me in being able to stay calm enough to think. My counselor is fantastic and has taught me a ton of things that have helped immensely. I feel like I have this freedom to do whatever - I don't panic much anymore.

I don't have anxiety disorder, but I do struggle with depression at times. I just wanted to comment on this because I as well took Celexa for a short time, but stopped because it actually made me jittery and jumpy, and I talked really fast. I just wanted to say think it is really interesting how medications affect people differently.

I'm proud to say that I do not take any medications at all any more, and have taken my depression pretty much completely under control.

To everyone thats struggling, I want to give kudos to you and let you know that I understand that these things are hard. Keep fighting, you're worth it! :D

LadyDreamer 03-03-2013 01:11 AM

Guys, one thing I really suggest doing is going to a comic shop or a gaming/hobby store and getting involved in a game. I am terrified of people, but all of the socially awkward nerds that take refuge in these stores are excellent therapy. They are just as nervous around you, but jump on any opportunity to teach and feel accepted, especially when teaching a game they LOVE. You will know the type immediately. Today, I played in a tournament that 24 people played in. I have so many new friends now. Sweethearts all of them. Even when I got trounced, they were great about it. And if you are a girl, they will be extra nice to you. Lol! *sigh* I love nerds.

Avoid Magic the Gathering people to start off. Go on the nights the shop is doing Pokemon, or Vanguard, or Kaijudo(GREAT game), or open game nights. Go talk to the shopkeeper and he will very likely find the right person to teach you a new game. Take a friend with you. Learn together.

Learning a game helps you focus. You have to keep your mind on your cards and your opponent. You learn to focus. You learn strategy. You learn how to interact. You learn how to play nicely with different people. You learn new skills. My life is so much better thanks to card games.
Posted via Mobile Device

4horses 03-03-2013 01:22 AM

I have anxiety issues with traffic, public speaking, and really bad test anxiety. I also have some OCD tendencies. I struggle with depression as well.

For a while I was on Paxil and it worked wonders, but it made me hypersensitive to pain (I have chronic pain issues) so I had to go off of it. Every SSRI I have tried since causes the same issue. Something about increasing serotonin levels causing increased pain?

I'm not on anything anymore and managing sort of okay. Sometimes I will get really anxious for no reason that I know of...

It took me forever to learn to drive. I used to have really bad anxiety about it, but now I'm usually okay with driving unless I'm on the highway and it is raining- that always makes me nervous.