The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help Trailering a VERY diffcult mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-trailering-very-diffcult-mare-155194/)

Critter sitter 03-02-2013 10:59 AM

Help Trailering a VERY diffcult mare

OK so I sold my mare. And we sold due to her trailering issues.
we have tried for 3 days now to get her to load and have not gotten her in.

I am at my wits end here with her. I have had 2 trainers try I have tried and to no avail she is one that wil explode if you put to much pressure on her.

my goal her is to get her in the trailer NOT train her. I don't want her or anyone hurt. The new owner is very aware of her issues and is ready and willing as long as I can get her to her. This video is a short moment in 4 hours of the same thing

her is a short video of yesterdays gentle attempt.
F75D161D-93F6-4AFE-A988-B66ACF5E04C4-899-0000005DF95EB40F_zps911ed200.mp4 Video by saving_grace01 | Photobucket

Any suggestions??

also
I know there are Many many ways so all are welcome..
this is the only trailer available and she had loaded into it before.

Sherian 03-02-2013 11:19 AM

as you're not trying to train - call the vet and drug her to the gills and be done with it.

Critter sitter 03-02-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherian (Post 1919163)
as you're not trying to train - call the vet and drug her to the gills and be done with it.

I have Ace I got from the vet.. I gave her 1 cc last night to take the edge off I have 4 cc left .
At this point I will try anything

amberly 03-02-2013 11:29 AM

Just work on it slowly. Notice how she was almost fully in, except her behind? Well, after a few seconds like that, just gently tap her on the behind until she makes a move to go forward - even if its just a lean. She is only checking everything out and sniffing everything.
Put yourself in her hooves.. You're entering this small spaced, dark scary place and you have no idea what is in there. Horses are prey animals - just to keep in mind.
You you are tapping her and she moves backwards, keep asking her to go back into the trailer without stopping. When you stop and she goes back or doesn't move, then you are rewarding her for going back or holding still when you tap her. That is a bad habit and can be very hard to break.
I hoped this helped a little. good luck!!

Critter sitter 03-02-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberly (Post 1919170)
Just work on it slowly. Notice how she was almost fully in, except her behind? Well, after a few seconds like that, just gently tap her on the behind until she makes a move to go forward - even if its just a lean. She is only checking everything out and sniffing everything.
Put yourself in her hooves.. You're entering this small spaced, dark scary place and you have no idea what is in there. Horses are prey animals - just to keep in mind.
You you are tapping her and she moves backwards, keep asking her to go back into the trailer without stopping. When you stop and she goes back or doesn't move, then you are rewarding her for going back or holding still when you tap her. That is a bad habit and can be very hard to break.
I hoped this helped a little. good luck!!

Honestly this is exactly what she did for 4 hours rinse and repeat over and over....She WOULD NOT go past the streching forward . I and sorry I am over taking it slow right now 4 or 5 hours doing this out in the Cold 21* weather. I am so over mister nice guy effect.

I think what I need is one of those things the foot ball players practice on that the ram in to and put behind her and ram her in..
( I am not serious) just making fun of my ouwn situation.

I thank you for your suggestions

Sherian 03-02-2013 11:55 AM

Don't waste your time with ace, have the vet out to mainline her with something stronger. After 3 days of her not getting on the trailer you'll want her toe dragging drugged - if you're worried about her falling over she can stand on the trailer for an hour before you leave.

Taffy Clayton 03-02-2013 11:56 AM

I would take the center divider of the back doors out , open both doors, is there a stall divider inside? If there is take it out.

Doesn't it make you so mad, when they get in that far and no farther, because she looks like she is not afraid, just being stubborn.

Have you tried the John Lyons way to get in the Tap, Tap, Tap, then if they move forward stop tapping?

Is there someone in the trailer?

Taffy Clayton 03-02-2013 11:58 AM

I see you have done a suggestion I had, I actually figured you had.

Critter sitter 03-02-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1919196)
I would take the center divider of the back doors out , open both doors, is there a stall divider inside? If there is take it out.

Doesn't it make you so mad, when they get in that far and no farther, because she looks like she is not afraid, just being stubborn.

Have you tried the John Lyons way to get in the Tap, Tap, Tap, then if they move forward stop tapping?

Is there someone in the trailer?

the other door is to the back tack area so there is no opening up that side
the slant section is moved so it is actually pretty big on the other side of the door.

yes it makes me mad .. i am so ready for this horse to be gone..... no tears over this sale

Dustbunny 03-02-2013 12:25 PM

Since the need here is to get her to her new owner and not retrain...
Would she load with a buddy in first?
Do you know anyone with a large stock trailer or one that has a full rear door that opens all the way?
A commercial hauler might be a thought.

A number of years ago we had an issues with my mare. We were at a trailhead and she refused to get in. My husband took his gelding home and got the neighbor with his stock trailer to come get us. The loading was not pretty but it was that or a 20+ mile ride and walk home. I told my husband we would NEVER again do that. We worked for three days rewarding each try and she now loads like she can't wait to go. Funny side note: We went camping with the same neighbors a couple of weeks later. He was pretty amazed when it was time to load for home she walked up to the trailer and stepped in without batting an eye. (I grinned a lot.) But you don't have 3 days.
We had a claustrophobia issue, I'm sure. Opening the entire back of the trailer helped. We took the stall divider out so the trailer was open. I was in the trailer (front escape) with the lead and my husband outside tapping. At no time was she restrained from backing if she wanted to do that. She would eventually get in like your mare and then want out. We let her but rewarded each try with rest. After 2 hours she got all 4 feet in, stood there for a few minutes, I asked her to back out and she went to the pasture. Next day it was 15 minutes and we closed the back doors. Less time the third day and no balking after that.
I wish you success. It's a frustrating problem.