The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   halter horse conformation. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/halter-horse-conformation-155199/)

fadedbluejean 03-02-2013 12:45 PM

halter horse conformation.

was browsing craigslists and found this add for this beautiful halter horse..well he could be beautiful all except for his legs:( i know they look funny and he doesnt look sound at all. but could you tell me exactly whats wrong with them? i notice alot of halter horses are built like this..

2yr AQHA Gelding

GamingGrrl 03-02-2013 12:50 PM

You could use those legs as fence posts O_O
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 03-02-2013 12:51 PM

Base narrow (his hooves are too close together...his legs should come straight down, not angle together)

Tied in behind the knee

Probably over at the knee (they usually are)

Straight behind

Stifle joint is set way high

Upright pasterns

Light on bone

Just yuck and a half!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 03-02-2013 12:57 PM

He's very post legged in the hind. The one thing that stood out to me were his feet. Good god look at the heel on his front hooves @.@ I don't know if he's club footed or has a horrible farrier, but that just makes me cringe. I bet you that is what is causing most of his upright Pasterns in the front.
Posted via Mobile Device

GotaDunQH 03-02-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadedbluejean (Post 1919179)
was browsing craigslists and found this add for this beautiful halter horse..well he could be beautiful all except for his legs:( i know they look funny and he doesnt look sound at all. but could you tell me exactly whats wrong with them? i notice alot of halter horses are built like this..

2yr AQHA Gelding

It's perpetually breeding halter lines with halter lines that carry on the characteristics of being straight everywhere....from straight in the back to straight in the front.

GotaDunQH 03-02-2013 02:12 PM

And I would want to see the HYPP status on that one given the positive status of the horses in his pedigree.

AnalisaParalyzer 03-02-2013 02:13 PM

his legs look like tooth picks holding up a pork sausage.

Spotted 03-02-2013 02:15 PM

IMO those hooves need some major work, I think they are definatly affecting the way he stands.

WSArabians 03-02-2013 02:24 PM

This is why I don't breed halter horses....

GotaDunQH 03-02-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1919293)
IMO those hooves need some major work, I think they are definatly affecting the way he stands.

He's still straight everywhere even if he had some foot trimmed off. This is your standard halter horse that I see on my AQHA circuit. And he's actually "pretty tame" muscle-wise from horses I've shown against. They are not bred to peform....only to stand there.