The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Cat hates dog. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/cat-hates-dog-155202/)

.Delete. 03-02-2013 12:27 PM

Cat hates dog.

I know i should post about this in the dog forum but for some reason my computer doesn't want me to go there today :?

Anyways I recently brought home a 1 year old cat from my horse stable. This cat was exposed to horses, sheep, goats, etc. Well she gets very upset at the sight of Hugo. When taking Hugo out of the cage to let him out he got away from me and bolted right after the cat. He chased her around for about 30 seconds till i got ahold of him. Now the poor thing is traumatized and hisses at me everytime i go near it.

Question is, how do i socialize them properly without causing any more drama? Hugo has been around cats before, he is curious about them and wants to play but doesn't really know how. I don't know if this cat has been around dogs before tho.

Do I just teach my dog to ignore it and let the cat come out on its own? I found myself trying to give the cat verbal commands like i would a horse or a dog :lol: I haven't had a cat for about 3 years. I wanted this cat to keep Hugo company in my apartment since it is just me and him, but now i am not so sure.

PaintHorseMares 03-02-2013 02:51 PM

Give it time and let the cat come out on his own. Even when you have a cat, if you add anothe cat,, they fuss and spit and fight for about a week. They're very territorial.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-02-2013 03:04 PM

I have two cats. 4 years of togetherness and they still hiss and fight. But, that's tough. I love them both and the house is big enough to share.

Funny thing, though. the younger cat HATES dogs. if the dog is smaller than a midsize dog, he will ATTACK any dog he sees.

my M.I.L. brought her new puppy to our house and they were sitting on the couch with this puppy on their laps. My cat wanders in, sees the puppy and up he goes into a furry arch, hisses and literallly launches himself so fast up onto the couch to attch and kill that puppy. only my FIL's quick defenses saved the puppy from a good clawing. he slapped my cat off the couch, but the crazy feline recoverred his feet and jumped right back up to renew his attack. it was unbelieveable!

DraftyAiresMum 03-02-2013 03:19 PM

Our cat LOVES our two dogs. We have a 6yo 60lbs Aussie/St Bernard mix with a high prey drive and a 4-month-old Aussie/border collie mix that was 7-weeks-old when we got her. We got the cat when he was 6-weeks-old as a stray and he's now 9-months-old (ish). Funny thing is, the cat HATES any dogs but ours. My boyfriend's best friend brought his jack Russell over who grew up with cats and Cosmo absolutely freaked out. Hissing, spitting, jumped up on a chair and then wouldn't have anything to do with us for hours after the dog left.

Some cats just don't like some dogs. They'll learn to live together.
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 03-02-2013 06:42 PM

We had a cat we rescued from a dumpster outside of A&W and my Chihauhau's thought she would be a fun chew toy. Little did they know she out weighed them by four pounds and she kicked their a$$.
They did, eventually, work out a happy medium though. Namely, they learned to stay out of her striking zone.

Animallover707 03-02-2013 07:00 PM

iv had cats for years usually about 5 on average as we get a lot dumped up here. Iv found that there are some cats that get along with dogs and some that dont. the ones that dont usually just stay away from the dogs, the ones that do i often find eating out of my rescued pit bulls food bowl:shock: i wouldnt even try to stick my hand down there, even though i dont think he is aggressive.