The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Why are my parents so nervous when I ride? (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/why-my-parents-so-nervous-when-155212/)

WoahHorsie 03-02-2013 03:50 PM

Why are my parents so nervous when I ride?

My parents are non horse people, but I'm lucky enough to have their support. However, they're so nervous when I ride! I only jump 3'3 but my dad freaks out so much when I jump. My mom hardly let's me ride bareback, and if I do she makes sure I only walk and trot. I'm a very fearless person so I like to gallop in the field, drop the reins and ride with my arms in the air...haha but my parents are so worried. When I ride. Gotta love them, but how can I convince them to stop worrying?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 03-02-2013 04:07 PM

You can't get them to stop worrying, they care about you! Just try to be safe and stop giving them unneccessary grey hairs!
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 03-02-2013 04:14 PM

It is a parents Job to worry, it is rule number 1, just means they love you :wink:

Delfina 03-02-2013 04:21 PM

Because we know what ER visits cost......... :wink:

faiza425 03-02-2013 04:28 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, and I've come to realize that...you can't. It's impossible to keep them from worrying.
What I do now (which is going to sound really bad) is just have them drop me off at the barn, and if something happens - horse spooks, foot gets stepped on, fall off, anything that doesn't require an ambulance :) then I just don't mention it.
Horses are unpredictable animals and, no matter how many precautions you take, at some point you are going to get hurt. There's really no way to prepare your parents for it.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! Subbing to see if someone else has some better tips.

PaintHorseMares 03-02-2013 05:02 PM

Because they love you. Be understanding and thankful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sevastion27 03-02-2013 05:15 PM

Just be thankful they care about you and be careful ( if you do get hurt your the one who won't be able to ride for a while)
Posted via Mobile Device

Animallover707 03-02-2013 07:31 PM

My parents stopped worrying about me riding horses when i started jumping on bulls :wink: hahaha started that at 13 when one of our bulls born on the ranch got big enough to ride.

Dustbunny 03-02-2013 10:05 PM

^^^^ LOL They stopped worrying???? Maybe they just went on Prozac.

Animallover707 03-04-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustbunny (Post 1919931)
^^^^ LOL They stopped worrying???? Maybe they just went on Prozac.

Well i think they realized if i could ride a bull i could deffinatly handle a horse. now i have 7 horses :D