The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Will he ever be rideable? :-( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/will-he-ever-rideable-155219/)

minstrelsmum 03-02-2013 04:24 PM

Will he ever be rideable? :-(

My beautiful boy is rising 12, i've had him just over 18 months and I never got him vetted. Don't know his full history but he was used for driving in past, i have spent lots of time schooling/jumping/hacking him in to the perfect all round genuine horse, however, he went lame on front right a while back, i got him x-rayed and vet said there wasn't anything untoward and we carried on, however he has developed a sore back. After getting my physio out she confirmed again that the right foot seems to be an issue - he's short on this foot and possibly has slight growth defect as hoof wall splays out and he cannot carry himself properly on it. He isn't hopping lame but on a circle on the right rein he runs too short which in effect makes him lame/unbalanced/disunited. I have had vets, physio, chiro but his discomfort in his body points to his feet. I need to get remedial farriery for him now, quite drastically to level him but fear he will never be quite right. I am a born worrier but I love him so much. I'm in my late thirties, he was my forever horse and we have such a bond and I worry he may be facing problems which prevent us carrying on our journey together. I planned for us to compete at low level shows this summer :cry:

hemms 03-02-2013 04:59 PM

If a farrier can address the issue, you're set. No sense frenzying until you eliminate that option, right? I know it's stressful, but at least you still have one more option to try. Kudos to you for sticking with it and sussing out the problem!
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 03-03-2013 08:16 AM

There are some excellent and very savvy farriers & trimmers on this forum who might be able to suggest some things to help your horse:-)

If you can, take very clear full body shots of all four sides of the horse. This will help them see his angulation. He needs to be standing square (no legs resting at half mast:) If he has a huge fluffly tail, tie it up with a hay twine, as close to the bottom of the bone as you can get:)

Also in good light, take pics of all four hooves top and bottom, including side views and rear views. To do that, stand the horse on something level, like the barn floor, cement, a level dry dirt area (like under an over hang, or stand him on a piece of plywood if he will tolerate that.

Set the camera on the ground so its "eye" is level with the hooves.

It might take two people, unless he's really calm and will stand by himself for you:-)

I sure wouldn't give up yet:D

2SCHorses 03-03-2013 08:54 AM

I have a friend that has a horse with a somewhat similar problem - one leg is longer in the front. He is under the care of a farrier and is shod with a special shoe on the leg that balances him out. I know she rides him lightly, but I do not know if he would be sound for hard work since that is not her goal with him. BUT, a very good farrier that does corrective shoeing my be able to help you in this instance. I would call several farriers and definitely look for references and certification. Since how you fix it could mean the difference between sound and lame, be very sure your farrier is top notch.