The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   farnam weight builder? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/farnam-weight-builder-155229/)

Animallover707 03-02-2013 06:15 PM

farnam weight builder?

my horse looks like she has gained a lot of weight some days, and then others she looks horrid. She is getting quite a bit of complete feed, someone even said i could feed a bit less, and she is getting corn oil(NOT FOR LONG i ran out of the better kind and need to go get some) 1/4 a cup 2 times a day and free feed hay an omega 3 supp and a hoof supp.

im looking for a weight building supp because i want to start riding in spring and i dont want her to loose any weight. has anyone tryed farnam? All suggestions will be appritiated. thanks:D

poppy1356 03-02-2013 06:22 PM

Weight builders are mostly junk. Alfalfa is much better. Alfalfa pellets with canola oil helped my hard keeper get up to weight thru winter. Give a few pounds of pellets soaked pretty good so theres no choke and put the oil on top.

Animallover707 03-02-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1919606)
Weight builders are mostly junk. Alfalfa is much better. Alfalfa pellets with canola oil helped my hard keeper get up to weight thru winter. Give a few pounds of pellets soaked pretty good so theres no choke and put the oil on top.

lol ill have to drive 3 hours to get it because my local store doesnt carry it. i live up in the mountains and there is a very small store that carries supplies, but not much. they just reopened in fact, a man found cat fecies in his food(people food, which is why i aways buy packaged food there) and they got shut down for a few weeks, i was living off top ramen.

Next time i drive down the mountain to go to 'town' ill get a few bags lol. Thanks!:D

poppy1356 03-02-2013 06:35 PM

Then I would grab quite a few bags lol. It goes fast when you feed a few pounds per day.

Animallover707 03-02-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1919624)
Then I would grab quite a few bags lol. It goes fast when you feed a few pounds per day.

lol will chopped alfalfa work? iv heard its easier for them to digest, i used to free feed it to some of my rescue horses

poppy1356 03-02-2013 06:40 PM

As long as it a nice fresh green alfalfa. And you don't want cattle alfalfa as I believe that is too high in protein.

Animallover707 03-02-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1919630)
As long as it a nice fresh green alfalfa. And you don't want cattle alfalfa as I believe that is too high in protein.

o well i know a feed store down the mountain that sells bags of chopped alfalfa for $19 for 50 pounds, i cant buy alfalfa hay right now there is a shortage and i cant pay $79 a bale. i told my uncle the price and he said he might buy it by the load and bring it up here and sell it! He would make a ton of money lol!

MyBoyPuck 03-02-2013 09:22 PM

I liked the Farnam weight builder. Only stopped because it was a powder and my horse was dumping all his food on the ground and not eating it. Seemed to help when he actually consumed it.

Animallover707 03-02-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1919869)
I liked the Farnam weight builder. Only stopped because it was a powder and my horse was dumping all his food on the ground and not eating it. Seemed to help when he actually consumed it.

haha my horse dumps her food out to, but since i started to soak the food her suppliments actually sticks to the food so she cant get away with it lol

Gaited07 03-04-2013 11:25 AM

The weight builder seemed to fire up our once dead head QH Mare. I switched to rice bran (meal) and that does the trick perfectly for me. I feed appx. 1 lb per horse in the winter to keep their weight up.