The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   please critque my rescue horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/please-critque-my-rescue-horse-155232/)

mlouati1389 03-02-2013 06:42 PM

please critque my rescue horse

10 Attachment(s)
this is floocie. she is a 9 year old nearly 18hh shire thoroughbred cross. with an excellent temperament. very well broke surprisingly. i took her in from a very bad situation, where she was about 150lbs under weight. her feet were also very neglected and because of this- they have panned out and are nearly completely flat. we have started on the road to recovery though! she has gained about 50-60lbs. and her feet are in better condition than when she was brought to me. it is a slow process though. constant and correct trimming, a little bit at a time every 3-4 weeks. she is a wonderful mare. we have her on a strict exercise routine to start to rebuild some of her muscling. she is so mellow, i allow my 4 year old to ride her throughout the pasture. she is a special horse. now she will NEVER be a competitive horse. she does have a parrot mouth [which is why her tongue hangs out in a picture or 2]. shes going to be a glorified trail horse. nothing fancy. poor girl has cancer. she has squamous cell carcinoma's in both eyelids. so on march 8th, she will be going into surgery to remove the eyelids. hoping to fix the issue. aside from all that, what do you think of her conformation wise?

FeatheredFeet 03-02-2013 07:02 PM

The VERY first thing, everyone here will notice, is that you have a toddler, riding a very large horse alone and not wearing a helmet. I don't care how kind/slow horses are, things can happen at any moment and the results, devastating. Put a helmet on that child.

Well I think the horse is just lovely. Maybe she is a bit long and leans toward having a very slight, roach back. I'd like to see a close shot of her pasterns and feet, after farrier work has caught up. I suppose that is what some call, an American Warmbloood? Regardless, what a nice big mare for you. Hopefully she won't have any future problems, after her eyelids are fixed.

And good for you, for taking in a mare who has problems.

Lizzie

mlouati1389 03-02-2013 07:06 PM

yes, i do realize she was not wearing a helmet. the little girls mother was in close proximity incase something were to happen. i apologize in advance for posting a photo with her without a helmet. we were not going to allow her to ride that day; we always have helmets with us. it was spur of the moment. please understand we only let them ride with helmets. this was a one time deal. though no excuse.

thank you for your critique. i will post some more photos of her feet. i believe i have a few. we finally managed to get them to the point where we could shoe her. and yes, she is an american warmblood i guess. to me, shes just a special horse that needs a lot of love and attention.

mlouati1389 03-02-2013 07:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here are a few more. you can sortve see the angling in the first picture. and the rest of her front hooves. not sure why i did not get a picture of the rear. i will take some more when i head out there tomorrow.

tinyliny 03-02-2013 07:37 PM

Looking really good! I bet you feel like you are on top of the world when you're up there.

mlouati1389 03-02-2013 07:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
a few more... and last one is showing her parrot mouth.. she is a goofy girl..

mlouati1389 03-02-2013 07:42 PM

believe it or not, she feels like a normal sized horse when youre on top of her. and her lope is to die for. she also has the smoothest trot i have ever sat in my entire life. shes an amazing horse. it breaks my heart to know what she went through. what hurts the most is that i knew the girl that did this to her. she was a friend of mine. needless to say, i own the horse 100% now and i will never speak to that woman again. she is facing neglect charges.

mlouati1389 03-02-2013 07:54 PM

she is a medical disaster... an understatement to say the least lol she has to be power floated every 6 months as well. but i love her. she has a place in my heart. shes not going anywhere. i will vow to care for and love her as long as i am physically able to. and if there comes a time where i cannot, i will find someone as special as her to look after her.

Taffy Clayton 03-02-2013 07:54 PM

very nice!

GracielaGata 03-02-2013 09:49 PM

What a pretty and sweet looking girl! Sounds like she will have a happy life now. :)
I wanted to ask, if you don't mind- how does the surgery work- removing eyelids? Will she not have issues with eyes drying, not sleeping properly, getting stuff in them, etc? I know nothing about it, so I ask out of curiosity. I assume the vet has mentioned a bit to you.
Good luck with her!