The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Making a career with horses! (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/making-career-horses-155239/)

mollymay 03-02-2013 08:32 PM

Making a career with horses!

Hey so just wanted to see others choices- if you have made a career or could working with horses, what would you do?! If you currently work with them in some way shape or form did you go to school for it? Apprenticeship? Or just stumbled into the job? Thought it would be interesting to see what you all would do!
Posted via Mobile Device

Island Horselover 03-02-2013 10:19 PM

Me and my partner have a trail riding business, taking all kind of people out on trail and beach rides. That is mainly in the summer season, in the fall we usually get young, untrained and or unwanted horses and train them for the upcoming season, sometimes we resell horses in the fall. I also offer riding and horsemanship lessons. No certifications but I am dealing with horses since my early childhood, got my first horse when I was 4 years old, grew up in Germany and competed in show jumping for more than 5 years came to Canada about 3 years ago and just love working with horses - guess that is why I made it my job.... so that is my story :0)

backyardhorse 03-03-2013 12:36 AM

I am doubly engaged in equibusinesses. Was a teacher in the public schools (hated most of it), and just walked away from that "secure" job to scoop poop at the first barn I worked at. From there, I started managing farms, mostly due to experience fixing things (fences, barns, equipment, etc), and have done that for 20+years. Currently manage a farm for an eventer (the work that pays the bills) but my true passion is the volunteer work that I do with a local non-profit. We mix city-kids with horses to teach life lessons such as compassion, individuality, tolerance, etc., in additition to riding and horsekeeping. THIS kind of teaching is so very rewarding. Like most people here on the forum, we don't expect to get rich working with horses, just to earn enough to meet our needs and be able to afford our horse "fix".

mollymay 03-03-2013 01:34 AM

Island horselover: that's awesome, I would love to work with unwanted horses!
Backyard horse: I was considering doing something similar here with a summer camp program. I have scoped it out a few times but never made a commitment, maybe this year I will!
Posted via Mobile Device

backyardhorse 03-03-2013 05:28 PM

Mollymay, if it's summer camp(s) how can you go wrong? The timeframe is only about 8 weeks, so if you make the commitment, it's relatively short in the grand scheme of things. If you decide you REALLY don't like it, the coordinators will understand---what else would we do fire you? We have a lot of high schoolers as volunteers, and the attrition rate is just something we get used to