The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Disallow the slaughter of horses :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/disallow-slaughter-horses-155254/)

Spkyneux 03-02-2013 10:22 PM

Disallow the slaughter of horses :(

This is extremely sad but that's why people need to sign it, please be sure to.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ghter/0rKZSSz9
Spread this as much as you can please.

riccil0ve 03-02-2013 10:29 PM

You'll find most of us are pro-slaughter here. Feel free to educate yourself by searching through the many threads here addressing this issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shoebox 03-02-2013 10:30 PM

Do your research. Equine slaughter is sad but necessary, and many, many people on this forum are pro slaughter. It is much better to humanely (as much as possible) slaughter unwanted horses than to let them rot and starve to death in fields because nobody can take care of them. Plus, some people eat horse meat.

Missy May 03-03-2013 12:01 AM

I am one-thousand and ten percent against horse slaughter. HOWEVER, it cannot be stopped and I am completely against efforts to try and stop it in the US, which was done. This only lead(s) to them being shipped to Canada or Mexico where conditions cannot be monitored and the US has zero jurisdiction. You need to think it through before you join an emotional bandwagon.

LadyDreamer 03-03-2013 12:45 AM

Instead of working so hard to stop it, put your effort into finding alternatives. There was a thing on Kickstarter the other day looking for donations to stop horse slaughter. Their idea: make and sell ART. How in the heck does that help anything?

Come up with ideas! What is the root cause? Too many horses, not enough homes! Think of ways to stop, or lessen the number of ill-bred horses being produced. Educational programs on reproduction. Gelding clinics. Things of that sort.

Then come up with ways to create more quality homes! None of this "Oooh! I want to save poor wittle horses from slaughter!" And then they go buy fifteen $50 horses at a kill auction. No. We need more kids and families taking lessons. We need more people looking into and experiencing the joys of horses. We need more owner. More trainers. More lesson riders. More shows. More competitions. More prizes. More INCENTIVE for people to have a horse or five. Come up with ideas to bring back the weekend fun shows. Build up another pony club type thing. Come up with more programs to get people to try riding.

There HAS to be an outlet for the horses, or they will ALL suffer.

Ideally, when there is an outlet for the horses, the number sent to the slaughterhouse will drop.
Posted via Mobile Device

LostDragonflyWings 03-03-2013 03:11 AM

I am anti-slaughter. For argument's sake, I will agree I am anti-current-slaughter-methods.

stevenson 03-03-2013 03:18 AM

I dont like the slaughter. But what are you going to do with the horses no one can afford now ? people have lost homes and jobs. they cannot kept small pets any more let alone a large one. Hay is expensive here. What is someone going to do with the lame non rideable horse? It is not just ill bred horses going to slaughter. Or all the babies from ranches and farms breeding for that perfect cutter , reiner, running, trotting, pacer, hacker, etc etc.. in every breed.. Why dont you start a group that HELPS pay for the feed and care of all these horses ?

xlionesss 03-03-2013 03:34 AM

As sad as it is to think our favorite beloved friends are being killed, it is a must. Like someone else said, would you prefer they're slaughtered or they sit in a dirt lot with no access to food and water. This is where the real suffering takes place....
Unless you can re-home the MILLIONS of horses in the US that are neglected and unwanted- I'd take them being euthanized over tortured by malnutrition and speechless conditions any day.

LostDragonflyWings 03-03-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlionesss (Post 1920231)
As sad as it is to think our favorite beloved friends are being killed, it is a must. Like someone else said, would you prefer they're slaughtered or they sit in a dirt lot with no access to food and water. This is where the real suffering takes place....
Unless you can re-home the MILLIONS of horses in the US that are neglected and unwanted- I'd take them being euthanized over tortured by malnutrition and speechless conditions any day.

I agree. EUTHANIZING is better than staving to death AND slaughter. Humane euthanasia.

TurkishVan 03-03-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDreamer (Post 1920107)

Then come up with ways to create more quality homes! None of this "Oooh! I want to save poor wittle horses from slaughter!" And then they go buy fifteen $50 horses at a kill auction. No. We need more kids and families taking lessons. We need more people looking into and experiencing the joys of horses. We need more owner. More trainers. More lesson riders. More shows. More competitions. More prizes. More INCENTIVE for people to have a horse or five. Come up with ideas to bring back the weekend fun shows. Build up another pony club type thing. Come up with more programs to get people to try riding.

There HAS to be an outlet for the horses, or they will ALL suffer.

Ideally, when there is an outlet for the horses, the number sent to the slaughterhouse will drop.

I definitely agree with LadyDreamer. Making the horses we have more desirable is a great way to cut back on the numbers going to slaughter. (After all, would you slaughter your pal? The horse that you spent years with riding, and loving? Probably not.)
Unfortunately, not everyone has the funds or resources to own a horse, and some of the people that don't still DO.
Recently I heard of a man arrested because his 15 or so horses were living in dismal conditions. They had been out of hay for weeks, and he did nothing to halt the reproduction of his herd, so there were a few foals too. Quite a few had to be euthanized due to his inability to provide for the horses.
And trying to say that this is an isolated incident is, unfortunately, just lying to yourself. There are backyard breeders by the droves, and they all have "thee #1 [unpapered/mutt] stallion/mare" that they breed, and breed, and breed... And then they wonder why no one buys the poor things when, conformationally, they're a wreck and they might not have been handled. People see the dollar signs, and not the true value of the horse itself. Then they get into trouble because they have a dozen horses that no one wants, and that they can't feed. So they dump them somewhere.

This is the unfortunate consequence that is the uneducated breeder/horse owner. Working towards educating horse people on breeding QUALITY animals (as opposed to quantity), and how to care for their animals, would be a better option, in my opinion.

Prevent the problem. Don't try to stop the flow, because the river will always find a way around the barrier.