The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Chispa Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/chispa-jumping-155255/)

mysolarflare 03-02-2013 11:32 PM

Chispa Jumping

3 Attachment(s)
Chispa jumping the other day, still from a video. She is amazing ! I went from pushing her over the jumps, to holding her back so she doesn't plow them over. She has come so far so happy with her. Just wanted to gush as I am completely thrilled right now. Oh and one other important fact, Chispa is gaited . Well when she wants to be lol, she is a registered Peruvian Paso, was a broodmare for a while also. But after neglecting owners she came to me, decided to give jumping a go with her as she is my only candidate for the moment ,I can't believe how much she loves it, she thinks see an jump anything. Seriously now instead of stepping over the odd log on the trail, she locks onto it and leaps. :rofl:

How does she look?

Any tips on slowing her up, notbsure how to set up canter poles or how to make her go over them with out trying to jump each one

Also wanted to try some gymnastics with her before going higher to get her thinking about where her feet are and get better balance but I'm not knowledgeable on how to set them up for that, so I seriously need some tips.

MyBoyPuck 03-03-2013 12:04 AM

As far as spacing for grid work, think in 3' foot increments. A bounce would be two low jumps 9' apart. A one stride would be 18' apart for trotting in. If you plan to canter it, 21' would probably work better. Best to first find your horse's natural canter stride and space accordingly. Place 2 ground poles 4 to 5 strides apart. (48' to 60') Canter over pole 1, count how many strides it takes to get over pole 2. Do it enough times that you the same stride every time, adjusting the second pole if necessary so your horse can put in full strides instead of have to shorten or lengthen. Once you have that distance, walk it on foot and figure out how many of your strides equal your horses. Then set up your poles.

As for the pulling thing, usually that is a result of locked or unforgiving elbows. Place your hands a few inches further up the neck. Then be sure to follow the motion with your elbows so it is fluid. The jump cue and steering should come from your seat and legs, so the reins should remain as quiet as possible.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but are you coming out of the saddle at all over the jump? It almost looks like you're still sitting.

mysolarflare 03-03-2013 12:34 AM

Yes I am in two point Puck(its the skirt), are you saying I wasn't giving her enough release I didt know I was pulling, I'm a little confused lol? I honestly got left behind because she jumped alot higher then I expected.

I will try to put the video up of I can

I'm relatively new to jumping, and have been teaching her what I know myself, we only just started this is about a months worth of work with a two month break, this was her first ride and jump after her break. Will be having lessons soon with our trainer, but I like finding things to improve myself.

Thanks so much with the spacing and canter pole stuff, thereare so many variations to gridwork, how do you put one together? How do you tailor it to your horses needs?

heymckate 03-03-2013 10:04 PM

Why are you wearing a skirt while riding? That seems somewhat unsafe to me.

Your horse shows some potential I think, but I agree you should give her a more generous release, and it looks like you're sitting down too early over the jump. I would suggest taking a few jumping lessons--fixing your position will help your horse tremendously!

existentialpony 03-03-2013 10:12 PM

I agree with the idea for lessons. :) Also, give this wikipedia article a quick read-through on types of releases...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping...es_of_releases

My mini-advice (since I don't jump much anymore) is to work on controlling the length of her stride/speed with your seat, and set of up lots of cavaletti-- even cavaletti that are a few inches off of the ground --to trot over. It's a great way to make them very aware of their feet!

mysolarflare 03-03-2013 10:30 PM

I wear skirts for religious reasons :)

jumanji321 03-04-2013 02:35 AM

Could you possibly knot it so it isn't as loose? I know some of some Hutterites who do this while they ride and they wear pants underneath I think.

mysolarflare 03-04-2013 02:34 PM

Yes I wear pant undertoo also wear pants in lessons sometimes so my trainer can see my position better, , no need to knot it, if I fall off and it get caught its coming off me, all the skirts I ride in are made like that

mysolarflare 03-04-2013 02:41 PM

We don't have cavaletti , will trot poles suffice?

jumanji321 03-04-2013 08:27 PM

If you raise them off the ground they will work.