The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Hunter/Jumper Crossover Rules (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/hunter-jumper-crossover-rules-155265/)

MySerenity 03-03-2013 12:40 AM

Hunter/Jumper Crossover Rules

My trainer has told me that my horse and I could potentially enter into hunters and jumpers. She said we would start in the baby green hunters (2'3-2'6"), but the jumper divisions usually start at at least 2'9".

Someone at the barn told me that because of the height difference I wouldn't be allowed to show in both. I guess she said I could apparently enter into a hunter division that was the same height as the jumper divisions.

Does anyone have any experience in this for "B" or "A" shows? I assume USEF has some sort of rules on this but I'd like to reserve reading the rules for if I can't find the answer elsewhere. :wink: Unless I can't fall asleep tonight.

alexischristina 03-03-2013 12:46 AM

Every jumper show I've been in (including rated) has gone from 2'3 or 2'6 up. Might be a difference in country though? Curious to know what it's like for you guys.

Oxer 03-03-2013 12:52 AM

You cannot cross enter is a small hunter division, and then ride in the bigger jumper divisions. i.e. you cannot ride the Rusty stirrup, and then ride the Opens or the Mods. Although, most jumper divisions that i've ever ridden at simple schooling shows have had 2'3" and up.

MySerenity 03-03-2013 12:31 PM

I wish I showed where you guys do. The local B circuit has nothing under training jumper (2'9"-3'). Even the A circuit that my barn does in Illinois has nothing smaller. The closest show that my barn goes to that I have found is in Iowa.

I'm VERY jealous of you both =) I'll keep looking though because I'd really like to do both and it would suck to have to sit out of jumpers for a couple of show seasons until the heights catch up.

Thanks for the info.

upnover 03-04-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySerenity (Post 1920051)
My trainer has told me that my horse and I could potentially enter into hunters and jumpers. She said we would start in the baby green hunters (2'3-2'6"), but the jumper divisions usually start at at least 2'9".

Someone at the barn told me that because of the height difference I wouldn't be allowed to show in both. I guess she said I could apparently enter into a hunter division that was the same height as the jumper divisions.

Does anyone have any experience in this for "B" or "A" shows? I assume USEF has some sort of rules on this but I'd like to reserve reading the rules for if I can't find the answer elsewhere. :wink: Unless I can't fall asleep tonight.

I'm pretty certain she means a green status thing, not a crossover with hunters or jumpers... Baby Greens are for horses in their first or second year of showing and haven't shown over a certain height regardless of discipline. Usually at A shows it's 3", then they've broken their green status. Usually at A shows baby greens are 2"6. But I've been to schooling shows where the babies were 2"3 and you can't have shown your horse 2"9. If you can find a prizelist it will specify what their specs are for the babies at your particular show.

MySerenity 03-07-2013 04:36 PM

I asked her for clarification today and she actually wants me to just do hunters this year so he doesn't get confused. She's confident that later in his life he will be able to do both at a show but she doesn't want to muddy the waters for now and the hunters will let us do more classes at lower height to build confidence and give him experience.

The different divisions in hunters really confuse my jumper brain, but you have a great point about getting my hands on a show bill for the intended show to get the best clarification. Thanks!

upnover 03-07-2013 11:46 PM

Ah that makes sense too! I personally think the hunters are are a great place to start off green jumpers. The courses are simple and there aren't fast jump offs or tight turns that could fry a nervous baby's brain. It helps teach them that shows are fun and not too scary. Good luck!