The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   New to Hunter stuff. NEED HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/new-hunter-stuff-need-help-155269/)

RunningJumpingHorses 03-03-2013 01:27 AM

New to Hunter stuff. NEED HELP

Hi! So I would love to get into jumping but not sure what I want to do. I have a red roan QH that loves to jump and is willing to go over anything. What is hunter jumping compared to show jumping and which do you think she'd be better at. She isn't a really flat mover as in like low headed kind of pleasure horse. Also what's the best way to get started because I'm afraid I won't fit in at some fancy show and I don't really want to jump into the deep end first off. If you could tell me anything it'd be really helpful. Thanks again! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

countercanter 03-04-2013 04:14 PM

First and foremost...get a trainer.

And we wouldn't be able to give you much insight to what kind of jumping to get into unless you provide videos of your horse. My retired horse was not the fanciest mover but was in the top ribbons over fences every time. And similarly there are horses that are fantastic movers on the flat and lack style over fences.
Posted via Mobile Device

RunningJumpingHorses 03-05-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 1922398)
First and foremost...get a trainer.

And we wouldn't be able to give you much insight to what kind of jumping to get into unless you provide videos of your horse. My retired horse was not the fanciest mover but was in the top ribbons over fences every time. And similarly there are horses that are fantastic movers on the flat and lack style over fences.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya thats what ive heard with the trainer thing but I'm trying to join our local pony club so that might help. Um im going to try to link a video to this but if it doesnt work, could you tell me how haha :-) Thanks!

Oh and if the video works, this is over 2'9" jumps. I know this will probably look slopy ( would love feedback on my riding) but this was my horse and I first show ever. And actually we have never jumped a real jump before haha just barrels in our pasture

VelvetsAB 03-05-2013 07:00 PM

Unfortunately, your video didn't work.

To begin with, a hunter horse is judged, while a show jumper is up against the clock. In most hunter classes(derbies being the exception), there are 8 to 10 jumps of natural type obstacles. Jumpers go over more brightly coloured, fun and extravagant type fences, some of unusual obstacles. Two fences that stand out the most to me that Spruce Meadows uses a fair amount in the International ring is a butterfly jump, and the Mount Rushmore one.

Here is a video of a hunter, who has won a fair amount of money at HITS, and is for sale in the $100-150,000 range. Obviously very pricey horse, but thought he might show the best of what is looked for in a hunter.

This is Touch Cruise, a jumper in the same price range as the above horse. You can immediately see the difference in the canter that is required to go to the fences.

RunningJumpingHorses 03-05-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1924258)
Unfortunately, your video didn't work.

To begin with, a hunter horse is judged, while a show jumper is up against the clock. In most hunter classes(derbies being the exception), there are 8 to 10 jumps of natural type obstacles. Jumpers go over more brightly coloured, fun and extravagant type fences, some of unusual obstacles. Two fences that stand out the most to me that Spruce Meadows uses a fair amount in the International ring is a butterfly jump, and the Mount Rushmore one.

Here is a video of a hunter, who has won a fair amount of money at HITS, and is for sale in the $100-150,000 range. Obviously very pricey horse, but thought he might show the best of what is looked for in a hunter.

Aston Martin, Hunter for sale. - YouTube

This is Touch Cruise, a jumper in the same price range as the above horse. You can immediately see the difference in the canter that is required to go to the fences.

Touch Cruise, HITS Ocala 2010 - YouTube

Thanks for posting these videos.:D In hunters, are the horses judged on their willingness to jump the jump or more on their form and their overall "presentation"?? :?

Oh and im just waiting on my video to upload on youtube then I'll get the link on here haha

Ray MacDonald 03-05-2013 07:16 PM

Hunters get judged on style, form and consistent even gaits.
And I am pretty sure they only go as high as three feet or so.

VelvetsAB 03-05-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningJumpingHorses (Post 1924269)
Thanks for posting these videos.:D In hunters, are the horses judged on their willingness to jump the jump or more on their form and their overall "presentation"??

In short, yes. Hopefully upnover or Maura will make an appearance and have a much more detailed answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 1924270)
And I am pretty sure they only go as high as three feet or so.

There are some classes that do go higher, like a derby, but they do seem to have more professional riders mounted, then ammies.

countercanter 03-05-2013 07:49 PM

The hunters are judge on the horse's style and way of going. They should have long, fluid, even strides and be consistent. They should have a round jump with high, even knees and be tight below the knees. They should be willing and forward but not racing. Fluid, complete, and prompt lead changes are expected.

Hunter classes go up to 3'6'', except the working hunters and Hunter Derbies, which can have 4 foot fences.

RunningJumpingHorses 03-05-2013 07:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

RunningJumpingHorses 03-05-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1924286)
In short, yes. Hopefully upnover or Maura will make an appearance and have a much more detailed answer.

There are some classes that do go higher, like a derby, but they do seem to have more professional riders mounted, then ammies.

Heres the link to my video... Hopefully this time it works lol