The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   ideas on stopping a strong pony? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ideas-stopping-strong-pony-155276/)

dommycob 03-03-2013 05:29 AM

ideas on stopping a strong pony?

This is for my friend who has a 13hh welsh b who's a pony club pony. When she rides out she can't seem to stop him. She's tried squeezeing and releasing, pulling on one rein, squeezing one and the other and plain just pulling back. She rides out with some other horses. Any ideas??
Posted via Mobile Device

NaeNae87 03-03-2013 07:20 AM

Is she just trying to stop by using the reins? Is she using her seat to stop as well? What is she doing when riding out? Walking, trotting? Going hooning around? If its the last one, then most horses and ponies will be hard to pull up.

I would get and instructor to help her use her seat to stop more and give her some techniques she can use if needed to stop her pony.

If all else fails get the pony re-mouthed.

toto 03-03-2013 01:44 PM

I'm curious as to what bit she is using..
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 03-03-2013 02:06 PM

Sounds like the pony needs some training. How is he at stopping in the arena/pen from w/t/c? Gonna have to go back to basics and get a solid stop at home before going out any more.

Saddlebag 03-03-2013 04:04 PM

Just make him go and go and go until he wants to slow down and make him keep going until he's puffing hard. She won't need to touch the reins, just relax in the saddle and he'll be only too happy to stop.

palogal 03-04-2013 05:05 PM

One rein stop :) ponies are notorious runaways because they are frequently ridden by children. Put a one rein stop on him rather than a stronger bit. Also a full cheek bit may help.
Posted via Mobile Device

palogal 03-04-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1920759)
Just make him go and go and go until he wants to slow down and make him keep going until he's puffing hard. She won't need to touch the reins, just relax in the saddle and he'll be only too happy to stop.

Sorry, this is bad advise. You will just condition him to run longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 03-04-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 1922469)
Sorry, this is bad advise. You will just condition him to run longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes and No. It really depends on the horse- for some horses, you're completely right. For others however, like my horse who would rush and run and get really stiff/quit listening, but who is essentially a lazy guy, it worked like a charm. It only took about three times of making him keep running past when he wanted to stop that he realized running really wasn't as fun as he thought and he would MUCH rather listen and stop when I asked him quietly than keep running about until he was tired and winded. You have to have the right horse and be a decent enough rider to be comfortable cantering or galloping a horse about for a while to work it though.

I've met a couple TBs and Arabians who are happy to run forever though, so choose your horses well. (Or be ready to be out there a while) :)

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-04-2013 10:45 PM

^^ This.

I have a runaway that will continue to run forever and ever, even if he is dripping sweat, BUT I have found the method to work well also.

Despite all of this, I think that we cannot diagnose the exact problem. Get your friend to seek the help of a trainer. That will help a lot.

Phly 03-04-2013 10:54 PM

When we got our QP shed blow through any bit or hack you could put her in. You just can't out muscle them. But she was horrible on ground work also. I'll be danged if once the ground work got better, the riding got better. I'd think your friends pony just knows it doesn't have to listen and well doesn't. I've been wrong before though.....
Posted via Mobile Device