The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Im Happy to Help.. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/im-happy-help-155292/)

justridinguk 03-03-2013 11:54 AM

Im Happy to Help..
 
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself as an English Rider/Jumper. I have been riding for 20years, 6yrs competitively. I'm a BHSAI and had been running a small riding school and livery yard for around 4 years prior to setting up our online retail outlet.

Ive had loads of experiences in all areas of the equestrian industry, and experiencing and learning more and more everyday.. This is just a quick not to introduce myself and say if anyone wants to pick my brains on any subject just fire away. :-):-)

LynnF 03-04-2013 09:17 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Dagmar 03-18-2013 06:03 AM

holidays
 
Dear,
thankyou for your offer to help. I donot know whether you can help me with my question, as I donīt know whether you know that region...
We are a family from Germany, living in Spain.
My daughter wants to spend 1 week in Uk, in the area of Hereford/ Gloucester, on a horse farm or similar. We are looking for a place where she will feel welcome, where she can stay during that time, ride a lot, help...
Can You recommend us any place?
Best greetings, Dagmar

justridinguk 03-18-2013 06:33 AM

Hereford Equestrian
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagmar (Post 1942916)
Dear,
thankyou for your offer to help. I donot know whether you can help me with my question, as I donīt know whether you know that region...
We are a family from Germany, living in Spain.
My daughter wants to spend 1 week in Uk, in the area of Hereford/ Gloucester, on a horse farm or similar. We are looking for a place where she will feel welcome, where she can stay during that time, ride a lot, help...
Can You recommend us any place?
Best greetings, Dagmar

Hi There, My wife and I had yards in Hampshire and Shropshire, however I have got a email address for a lady that runs Hereford Equestrian Magazine its sally@herefordequestrian.co.uk her name is Sally I believe she has a yard, failing that she knows everyone in the Equestrian community in Hereford.

I hope that helps.

iRide Ponies 03-22-2013 11:33 PM

Oooooh, Question.

Whats your advice on a horse that over jumps when going over trotting poles?

I have a very sweet Arab mare whose chief delights in life seem to be trail rides, food and jumps. Whenever I am at pony club and there are ground poles laid out, she will walk up to them, rock back on her hind quarters and jump them at about 40cm. If we are trotting over them, the jump height will be around 60cm. If we place two poles in a row next to each over, she will jump lower but wider. Her record is 7 trotting poles all cleared in one bound when my (experienced) friend thought she could cure her of the habit.

While she is doing this, she is totally relaxed with easy quiet paces and a nice, soft arch so I don't think she over-jumps out of fright. She genuinely seems to enjoy this and one more than one occasion, has actually given a low nicker apon seeing the poles! She will do this regardless of energy level.

She also over jumps while going over small jumps (around 50cm is as height as I jump at the moment) but she only over jumps then by about 20cm more than the actual jump height so I'm not worried about that.

I do not particularly mind her jumping poles except for the fact that I am due soon to be tested at pony club and have no intention of failing because my mare would not step over a pole. So I am hoping that you or someone else on here might have some advice?

(PS: I know for certain she has no bad experiences while jumping. For one part, she adore jumping. For two, I was the first person to ever jump her and I have owned her for all of her jumping life.)

justridinguk 03-23-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRide Ponies (Post 1999193)
Oooooh, Question.

Whats your advice on a horse that over jumps when going over trotting poles?

I have a very sweet Arab mare whose chief delights in life seem to be trail rides, food and jumps. Whenever I am at pony club and there are ground poles laid out, she will walk up to them, rock back on her hind quarters and jump them at about 40cm. If we are trotting over them, the jump height will be around 60cm. If we place two poles in a row next to each over, she will jump lower but wider. Her record is 7 trotting poles all cleared in one bound when my (experienced) friend thought she could cure her of the habit.

While she is doing this, she is totally relaxed with easy quiet paces and a nice, soft arch so I don't think she over-jumps out of fright. She genuinely seems to enjoy this and one more than one occasion, has actually given a low nicker apon seeing the poles! She will do this regardless of energy level.

She also over jumps while going over small jumps (around 50cm is as height as I jump at the moment) but she only over jumps then by about 20cm more than the actual jump height so I'm not worried about that.

I do not particularly mind her jumping poles except for the fact that I am due soon to be tested at pony club and have no intention of failing because my mare would not step over a pole. So I am hoping that you or someone else on here might have some advice?

(PS: I know for certain she has no bad experiences while jumping. For one part, she adore jumping. For two, I was the first person to ever jump her and I have owned her for all of her jumping life.)

Hi There,

This is a matter or personal opinon but for trotting poles, dont use your jump poles get some squares ones. Especially if your horse is jumping them they cant roll away from your horses hoof and cause ligament tears/damage, just check out Tim Stockdale for one you'll never see him using a round pole on the ground.

Start by using one pole on the ground and bring her up to a complete halt immediately after the pole, do this a few times and then allow her to walk on a few times so she doesnt get in the habit of just stopping after the pole. Do this in walk, over and over just one pole and once she has done this succesfuly move on to try it in trot again with just the one pole bringing her to a full halt again and then allowing her to trot on a few times, mix it up dont halt her everytime.

The point to this is that your making the pony concentrate on what's going to happen after the pole and not the pole itself, in your pony's mind she is thinking that the main excercise is after the pole and the pole becomes merely the approach to the main event.

I hope this helps. :-)

iRide Ponies 03-23-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justridinguk (Post 2000418)
Hi There,

This is a matter or personal opinon but for trotting poles, dont use your jump poles get some squares ones. Especially if your horse is jumping them they cant roll away from your horses hoof and cause ligament tears/damage, just check out Tim Stockdale for one you'll never see him using a round pole on the ground.

Start by using one pole on the ground and bring her up to a complete halt immediately after the pole, do this a few times and then allow her to walk on a few times so she doesnt get in the habit of just stopping after the pole. Do this in walk, over and over just one pole and once she has done this succesfuly move on to try it in trot again with just the one pole bringing her to a full halt again and then allowing her to trot on a few times, mix it up dont halt her everytime.

The point to this is that your making the pony concentrate on what's going to happen after the pole and not the pole itself, in your pony's mind she is thinking that the main excercise is after the pole and the pole becomes merely the approach to the main event.

I hope this helps. :-)

Thank you! So helpful. I'll try it tomorrow, and do some research on those square poles.

littleerin5 06-17-2013 12:24 AM

Okay I have a question that I would LOVE to pick your brains at! I have only ridden western, I did barrels and poles when I was a kid, then rode horses for other people until I left for Afghanistan. Now, I have always been interested in jumping, and I have jumped before in a barrel saddle for funzies. How hard is it to transition from a self taught western rider into a competitive jumper?

jumanji321 06-18-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleerin5 (Post 2820754)
Okay I have a question that I would LOVE to pick your brains at! I have only ridden western, I did barrels and poles when I was a kid, then rode horses for other people until I left for Afghanistan. Now, I have always been interested in jumping, and I have jumped before in a barrel saddle for funzies. How hard is it to transition from a self taught western rider into a competitive jumper?

Get a coach! It's not that difficult to transition, but it's difficult to do well if you start getting really competitive.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0