The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with these bits! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-these-bits-155314/)

Horsequeen08 03-03-2013 04:17 PM

Help with these bits!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I found for sale at a garage sale three (older???) snaffle bits. I haven't a clue if these are older or newer, what they would be used for, and if they are worth anything. I paid $10 for all of them together. They are huge, so must be for drafts. I've never really ridden or worked with drafts before, so I have no idea about these. The twisted one is 7 1/4", the simple one is 6 1/2" and the stright bar is 5 1/2". If you have any ideas about them, please let me know!! Thanks!!

Deschutes 03-03-2013 05:06 PM

The bottom looks like a tiny mullen mouth.-- Great for horses with a shallow pallet who cannot accommodate curbs or snaffles.
The second a loose ring snaffle-- One of the softest bits you could use. And preferred by many.
The top a slow twisted wire bit. --This one is the harshest of all three. But is good for light hands and experienced riders.

Endiku 03-03-2013 05:21 PM

O_o I don't think I've ever seen a snaffle that big!

Deschutes nailed what types all of those are. I'd use that twisted bit just as a house ornament or toss it out though personally. They're useless as horse bits JMHO.

jumanji321 03-04-2013 02:23 AM

The mullen mouth looks kind of like a bridoon with such small rings on it.

tinyliny 03-04-2013 02:40 AM

the twisted wire one looks to have some sharp points on it. I would not use it all. ever.

Tracer 03-04-2013 03:51 AM

Wow, they are huge! I have a 6" loose ring snaffle, and it was the biggest the store had!

Saddlebag 03-04-2013 02:41 PM

The bottom one is a bridoon, part of the double bridle that also holds a curb. The horse has two bits in his mouth at the same time.

Corporal 03-04-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1921639)
the twisted wire one looks to have some sharp points on it. I would not use it all. ever.

Yep, twisted wire--make it into a tp roll ring?
2nd is a sweet iron, loose ring snaffle.
3rd is the "bit" from the set of "Bit and Bridoon." That means a 2 bit bridle, often used in Dressage. It is the snaffle and you also stuck a curb bit in the horse's mouth, too, hence the skinny mouthpiece.
They are ALL old bits. I bought one that was in a box at auction many years ago.

Horsequeen08 03-04-2013 06:15 PM

That was super informative! Thank you! And don't worry, I have no intention of using them on a horse. Actually I think the twisted one looks kind of cool, I might use it as a decorative piece. I had no idea about the small one being a double bridle piece. I'm actually excited to have learned about them! Thank you to all who replied. If anyone else has any more to add, please do! I love learning new horse-y things!

Deschutes 03-04-2013 06:27 PM

Yeah! It figures that the mullen mouth looking one wasn't a mullen mouth. : p those rings are tiny, as is the bar. You learn new things every day.
Posted via Mobile Device