The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Starting the process to getting Josie in foal! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/starting-process-getting-josie-foal-155318/)

trainerunlimited 03-03-2013 05:17 PM

Starting the process to getting Josie in foal!

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys! I never was able to set up the lights for Josie to get under, the barm owner needed all the stalls for show cattle, soooooo I'm now getting ready to start the breeding process! I'm hoping because it was such a mild winter, she never quit ovulating.

She appeared to be coming into heat this Friday, but I'm unable to take her to Buffalo Ranch til Wednesday, so we might have missed this heat cycle, if she was indeed coming into heat.

She doesn't blatantly show in heat as other mares do, so it can be hard to pinpoint whether she is or not without teasing her with a stud. I'm very, very excited!

Due to having the reduced riding schedule I had with her first foal, I was kind of not looking forward to not riding as often, but with my nursing program keeping me so busy, the schedule will be perfect! She can mostly lay around eating and carry that baby while I lay around eating and studying! LOL.

For those of you who don't know, my mare is getting bred to RC Fancy Step (Wimpys Little Step x Daughter of Doc Wilson) who has earned 351,000 in the reining pen. He is no longer viable to breed, so she will be bred with frozen semen via deep horn insemination into the horn with the larger follicle.

I've seen a couple of him babies and am in awe! He himself is an extremely nice horse and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to breed to him =) Although a lot of hard work was involved to earn the breeding fee, lol.

I'm ready to take her up there this Wednesday, but need some advice! Should I leave her there to be short cycled if she just went out of heat or bring her home and return her right before the next heat cycle?

Here are a couple pics of us playing around yesterday, I brushed her then worked on laying down, which she now does by me picking up her leg and queing her with either pressure on her chest or on her halter! YAY! That took FOREVER to progress with her, she really didn't like laying down and staying there, especially around a bunch of activity which is usually going on when I'm able to work with her!

Originally, I had plans on keeping the foal, but now may sell it into a definite show home, depending on how much I fall in love with it =) I would love to get some producing earnings on my mare.

Merlot 03-03-2013 07:55 PM

Buckskin yaaaay buckskin yaaaaaaaay ;-)

BrieannaKelly 03-03-2013 08:12 PM

Very pretty mare. Good luck with your mares conceiving. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-03-2013 08:17 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Subbing. Good luck with Josie!
Posted via Mobile Device

trainerunlimited 03-03-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited it finally happening, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-03-2013 08:25 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Slightly Off Topic: Where did her cutie patootie colt from last year end up? Any updated pictures of him?
Posted via Mobile Device

countryryder 03-03-2013 08:28 PM

Yay,Josie's back! :)

trainerunlimited 03-03-2013 08:30 PM

He went to a cop down in Houston, but it's kind of a sore subject for me. He showed me pics of his other horses and they were in good shape, but when he sent me a pic a couple months later, Simba had a huge pot belly, and his muscle pretty much disappeared. He was also super ribby. I asked him to worm Simba and he did, but he didn't/isn't getting the adequate nutrition to grow up into a gorgeous horse. :( he has gained weight since then, but still looks nothing like the bright little boy I said goodbye to and loaded in the trailer last year. :/
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-03-2013 08:41 PM

893 Attachment(s)
That is a shame. Im sorry to hear that. He was stunning. Unfortunately, once they leave our hands, we have no control over them.
Posted via Mobile Device

trainerunlimited 03-03-2013 08:44 PM

Yeah, unfortunately. That was certainly never the future I hoped for him. He also has posted pics of him little kids sitting on his back, so I fear the worst with his poor musculoskeletal system as well.