The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Would this be a good saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/would-good-saddle-155322/)

Horsecents1997 03-03-2013 05:05 PM

Would this be a good saddle?

2 Attachment(s)
So I want to buy an English saddle (my first time), and I was looking through the classifieds and found this one. It's $200 and comes with leathers and stirrups. Its a Harry Dabbs. I was wondering what that was on the knee block?? Should I be worried about that? I thought it would be good since it was a decent brand or should I go with the second saddle (doesn't come with leathers or stirrups and is $50 more but looks in better condition) Advice please!!

Note: I cannot afford any expensive saddles. The second saddle is a Intec.

Horsecents1997 03-03-2013 05:07 PM

Apparently, the Harry Dubbs also has a tear in the seat.

Ray MacDonald 03-03-2013 05:24 PM

I would go for the second one as it looks to be in better condition. Stirrups and irons don't cost that much.

Horsecents1997 03-03-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 1920863)
I would go for the second one as it looks to be in better condition. Stirrups and irons don't cost that much.

Thanks!!:-)

poppy1356 03-04-2013 09:42 AM

What do you want to do in english? Those are different purpose saddles so cannot really compare the two. Top one has a tear, you can clearly see it in picture. Not worth the money to repair it. Never heard of Intec but you don't need an expensive saddle to get a good saddle.

Just be aware that english saddles are harder to fit than western and are measured differently.

Mrs M 03-04-2013 06:01 PM

I'd go with the second one it's in better shape. Depends on the fit for you and the horse and the purpose. The second one looks like a deeper seat with more knee block. Dressage saddles are deeper bigger than a flat jumping sadles all purpose fit in between but, never really suit either sport except hacking around for fun. Not my thing though I'm pure western.