The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What Colour is he (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-colour-he-155386/)

Swampy 03-04-2013 03:38 AM

What Colour is he

4 Attachment(s)
he is reg as a buckskin pinto he is quite dark thou he is about 17 months old his dam is a pally/ taffy pinto and
sire is a yellow dun

this is his full pedigree APSB: details

we are unsure if he is a bay or buckskin or a mix of the cream dun or silver gene as we cant look for and dorsal or leg barring due to the white big picture he is clipped hasnt yet lost all the baby fluff just starting to lose now

Poseidon 03-04-2013 11:30 AM

Do you have pictures of his parents?

As for white pattern, he is tobiano and I would guess frame based on his star and that white patch on his neck.

verona1016 03-04-2013 01:25 PM

He looks liver chestnut to me. It's a shame there's no color on his coronet bands to really tell.

Not sure what you mean by the dam being pally/taffy. Pally = palomino and taffy = black w/ silver dapple (IIRC) which are very different colors. Also unsure if yellow dun is palomino dun or some other color? Pictures would help clarify :-)

Swampy 03-04-2013 03:51 PM

no pic of the parents mother is a pally pinto caring silver gene and yellow dun is another word for bay dun this is just want is on the papers we have of him

Swampy 03-04-2013 04:09 PM

when doing a colour calculator based on the parents these are the possible out comes for base colours

Red Dun
Chestnut
Dunalino
Palomino
Bay
Bay Dun
Buckskin
Silver Bay
Dunskin
Silver Bay Dun
Silver Buckskin
Silver Dunskin
Smoky Grullo
Silver Smoky Black
Silver Grullo
Silver Black
Silver Smoky Grullo
Smoky Black
Black
Grullo

NdAppy 03-04-2013 04:10 PM

In all honesty he looks black, maybe smokey black but the only way to confirm that is with a test as cream does not show on black in heterzygous form.

He is not a buckskin and he does not carry dun or silver.

Swampy 03-04-2013 04:20 PM

yer we are planning to do a test just wanted to figure out which one to get done first as it wont be done in our country

Swampy 03-04-2013 04:29 PM

i think he is a bay or smokey black just because the mane has got light ends and roots and is more the same colour as the body he is almost a chocolate colour

NdAppy 03-04-2013 04:41 PM

Blacks can and do have light ends on their mans and tails. it's from the hair bleaching in the sun.

Swampy 03-04-2013 04:49 PM

no sun bleaching at all i understand i the ends being light but not the roots and even in his tail its more a chocolate colour