The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Due to recent FL outbreaks-USDA has a new rule for transport (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/due-recent-fl-outbreaks-usda-has-155397/)

franknbeans 03-04-2013 08:33 AM

Due to recent FL outbreaks-USDA has a new rule for transport

Thought this was important for all to be aware of......USDA Adopts Animal Disease Traceability Program | American Horse Council

MHFoundation Quarters 03-04-2013 08:38 AM

Thanks for sharing that.

Kiara 03-04-2013 08:40 AM

So does this replace branding inspections, or do you have to get those on top of branding inspections?

gypsygirl 03-04-2013 08:41 AM

would a health certificate count ?

i read about half of the article..

mls 03-04-2013 08:55 AM

Actually it is not due to the recent Florida outbreaks. This has been in the works for several years.

Those that own a horse or two will be inconvenienced. Those of us that own herds of cattle and horses that are transported to breeding, feeding and housing facilities will be spending a lot of money to stay in compliance.

franknbeans 03-04-2013 08:56 AM

I think this is more detailed than a health cert, and as far as branding inspections-I have no clue, since i am in the east and we don't have those. THis sounded to me to be more like a Coggins paper with detailed description of the horse. Glad I RARELY go interstate. Now one more reason not to.

franknbeans 03-04-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1921809)
Actually it is not due to the recent Florida outbreaks. This has been in the works for several years.

Those that own a horse or two will be inconvenienced. Those of us that own herds of cattle and horses that are transported to breeding, feeding and housing facilities will be spending a lot of money to stay in compliance.

So you don't think that the outbreak has rushed this whole process and influenced the effective date?

mls 03-04-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1921811)
So you don't think that the outbreak has rushed this whole process and influenced the effective date?

Look at the date of release 1/28/13. The first horse from HITS was not even diagnosed until 2/20/13.

CCH 03-04-2013 09:02 AM

This isn't really due to the FL outbreaks. My show associations notified us back in January. (Note the APHIS data standards for the ICVI were published for commentsin the Federal Register prior to finalization) If anything, it is partially to the neurological EHV that made the news when horses got sick at some big NCHA shows.

Heavy haulers can get to many shows/locations in just a few weeks, especially in the summer. It's obviously not going to stop disease, but what it does is reduce the amount of time USDA people have to spend getting travel history from owners. I don't know if that is good or bad. Sometimes it is important to get the whole picture from an owner, but speed is also important.

I've been calling this a "federal health" just to keep it straight from our normal health certificate and an international health that is necessary to get into Canada. I haven't even been able to figure out if it replaces the normal health certificate. I also can't find any information on whether you still need import numbers to travel to a certain state. What I do know is that brand inspections are completely separate and necessary for certain states.

I'm glad they are going to be lenient on this new ICVI until the kinks are worked out though!
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 03-04-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCH (Post 1921817)
This isn't really due to the FL outbreaks. My show associations notified us back in January. (Note the APHIS data standards for the ICVI were published for commentsin the Federal Register prior to finalization) If anything, it is partially to the neurological EHV that made the news when horses got sick at some big NCHA shows.

No.

This was started long before that too.

If you want to read the whole thing -

Animal Disease Traceability Home