The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Grain question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/grain-question-155417/)

ApolloRider 03-04-2013 01:46 PM

Grain question

My BO called me this morning asking about giving Apollo grain. He was on grain before because he was underweight his breeder got him bulked up before he was transported to me and I was told he didn't need the grain anymore and grass would be fine..

BUT....
Last night when it was feeding time he got upset because the other horses in the barn do get grained. I want to get him some lower calorie grain that won't make him too hot just so he doesn't feel left out. The other horses in the barn are mostly older and one has a special diet.
Anyway, she gave him some rolled oats last night so he didn't feel left out.

What would you suggest for a lower calorie grain?

Left Hand Percherons 03-04-2013 01:50 PM

You can give him grass or alfalfa pellets. Has the same caloric content of the hays. I would be giving him some type of ration balancer if he is only getting grass hay to fill the nutritional gaps in minerals and vitamins. (mineral blocks are colored salt blocks)

ApolloRider 03-04-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1922089)
You can give him grass or alfalfa pellets. Has the same caloric content of the hays. I would be giving him some type of ration balancer if he is only getting grass hay to fill the nutritional gaps in minerals and vitamins. (mineral blocks are colored salt blocks)

He has a mineral block.
I will grab some grass pellets today. :)
I will also ask the people at the feed store, I just wanted an idea of what to look for. :)

OneFastHorse 03-04-2013 02:24 PM

Put him on a RB such as Triple Crown 30% or Buckeye Gro N win. 1lb per day will supply all the vit/min he needs and it is low NSC so it shouldn't make him hot (unless he has a sot sensitivity). Triple Crown Lite is also available and is to be fed at 2-4lbs per day depending on the horses needs.

verona1016 03-04-2013 03:28 PM

^^ This.

Mineral blocks will not provide enough of anything (other than salt) to fill any gaps present in the diet, and won't provide anything in the way of vitamins. Either a ration balancer (I second the recommendation for TC 30%) or a multi-vitamin are good options. If you want to add more bulk, grass pellets work well without adding extra calories/starch/sugar.

OneFastHorse 03-04-2013 08:37 PM

*Soy sensitivity, not sot lol

loosie 03-05-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFastHorse (Post 1922137)
Put him on a RB such as Triple Crown 30%

Agree with the 'ration balancer' or otherwise good supp to balance his diet, but if he can't afford to put on any weight, &/or you can't feed him his daily ration in at least 2-3 meals daily, I'd choose something that's very low-dose, such as KER Gold Pellet, Smartpak, etc.

SueNH 03-05-2013 12:14 PM

Another vote for a ration balancer and some hay pellets.

I've got a 38 yr old fatty who gets a ration balancer, a very low NSC hay stretcher and some timothy pellets. She thinks she's getting a real bargain but when it comes down to it she isn't getting much at all.