The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from Northern Virginia (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-northern-virginia-155425/)

tfinch 03-04-2013 02:53 PM

Hello from Northern Virginia

Hello!
I used to ride (English) before college and before life got too busy for it. I'm still passionate about horses and am waiting for the right timing to get back into that lifestyle. In the mean time, I go on pay-as-you-go (Western-style) trail rides as often as possible and peruse forums like this to try and re-educate myself. :)
I used to take lessons in Dressage and admire that the most. I've never had much interest in jumping and I think now I'm most interested in trail/pleasure riding.
I'm at the point in life where I think I can afford a horse but I just need to find the time!
-Tanya

HorseLovinLady 03-04-2013 11:12 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

franknbeans 03-05-2013 06:51 AM

Welcome-I am in NOVA also, at least much of the time. You should have NO problem finding a place to ride dressage.

Enough small talk-off to get TP, milk and bread-the SNOW is coming you know.....(just kidding, I am from NY...lol)

tfinch 03-05-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1923214)
Welcome-I am in NOVA also, at least much of the time. You should have NO problem finding a place to ride dressage.

Enough small talk-off to get TP, milk and bread-the SNOW is coming you know.....(just kidding, I am from NY...lol)

LOL!
Ain't that the truth! I'm excited it's finally going to snow this year, though!

RandysWifey 03-05-2013 08:40 AM

hey there! I'm in DC :) I take care of skyseternalangels horse out in Maryland. We dabble in dressage but I mainly ride western (Maggie is the amazing dressage rider out of the 2 of us!) I'm actually just about to run to the grocery store and buy a loaf of bread-lmao!

farmpony84 03-05-2013 08:45 AM

welcome to the forum!

Speed Racer 03-05-2013 09:15 AM

Welcome. What part of NOVA? I used to live in the area, but moved to southside Virginia about 8 years ago.

tfinch 03-05-2013 09:31 AM

I live in South Riding. It's a development on route 50 in Loudoun County. I'm really close to horse country, actually. I just haven't made the leap!
It's funny, I went out for a trail ride with a friend a couple years ago and it changed my perspective on how horses could fit into my life again. She met up with about 6 people who all trailered their horses to a meetup spot, we all rode around for a couple hours, and then went home. It was amazingly fun!
But now I'm at this cyclical way of thinking: I need to buy a saddle to lease a horse but you have to have the saddle also fit the horse. If I'm only leasing for a while, why would I buy a saddle to fit a leased horse? Then, I would want to ride the horses on trails and travel with it so I'd need a truck and a trailer along with the horse.... I'm stuck and just haven't bought anything yet. :)

evilamc 03-05-2013 10:35 PM

Ahh welcome! I'm in DC too, ha its nice to see other forum members from the same area!

I just joined the Nokesville Horse Society, they do trail rides every month, I can't wait!

franknbeans 03-06-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfinch (Post 1923344)
I live in South Riding. It's a development on route 50 in Loudoun County. I'm really close to horse country, actually. I just haven't made the leap!
It's funny, I went out for a trail ride with a friend a couple years ago and it changed my perspective on how horses could fit into my life again. She met up with about 6 people who all trailered their horses to a meetup spot, we all rode around for a couple hours, and then went home. It was amazingly fun!
But now I'm at this cyclical way of thinking: I need to buy a saddle to lease a horse but you have to have the saddle also fit the horse. If I'm only leasing for a while, why would I buy a saddle to fit a leased horse? Then, I would want to ride the horses on trails and travel with it so I'd need a truck and a trailer along with the horse.... I'm stuck and just haven't bought anything yet. :)

Well, if you want some entertainment, go to the dressage barn on 15 between Leesburg and rt 50......It is on the east side of 15-I can't remember the name, but the german lady who runs it is quite something. Really nice facility, they just sold off some land, and you will see that they are starting to build houses on it. Anyway-BO is the type I picture being a REALLY strict instructor.....I bet she knows her stuff tho.....I stopped in there once....that was enough, since I don't do dressage. I will try and find the name.